Connect the Dots<br>Cathleen Murakami<br>Class 2328

Connect the Dots
Cathleen Murakami
Class 2328

Watch this Class
1 person likes this.
Hi Cathleen, THANKS! I liked a lot the way you explained.
I just have a question concerning the pelving floor, that maybe you explained in the lesson, but I did not understand because of the language ;) (my English is not that good).
It is about squeezing the very top of the leg in oder to get a tension into the pelvic floor. This tension has to be not more than 5-6 .
Could you just explain me why I shouldn't squeeze as much as I can .
I ask because it is actually easier to squeeze there without thinking of keep the tension a bit more than half way. So I think important for me to know why.
Thanks so much for this lesson!!!!
Lisa
Cathleen Murakami
Hello Lisa, I think I understand your question about why do I say NOT to tighten the inner thigh area to the maximum ability of a the musculature. In general, when someone excessively contracts the adductors, they inevitably excessively also contract the entire gluteus maximum as well. This can cause a reaction of a posterior pelvic tilt which is not what we want. (as you know, this would flatten the lumbar spine in excess) Additionally, the over "gripping"/"squeezin g" of this area would "lock up" the sacrum and hip joint which would inhibit the freedom required for any disassociated movement. I hope this helps you understand the power in the subtlety.
If you continue to practice at a 'lower' level of effort, it will become, eventually, quite significant in your awareness.
Please feel free to contact me personally via my website if you require more detail. Thank you for your inquiry andenjoythe progressions!
1 person likes this.
Thank you Cathleen!
Your explanation is very useful for me.
If I have more questions I will definitely contact you again. thanks a lot.
Alexandra L
Thank you Cathleen. I appreciated your analogies, connecting the dots, the slinky, the ball under the arm helping us feel our "gills", the dimmer switch pull on the ball. Very precise images and original.
Cathleen Murakami
Thank you, Alexandra! Imagery is the best, in my book......but strong concise verbal cueing is right up there, too. So happy you liked!
1 person likes this.
Hi Cathleen. Thanks so much for this great take on the fundamentals. Your imagery is so rich! I especially loved the 'marathon of strength'. I am going to use that one with my singing students (with credit to you! :) The focus on connecting the dots and especially the pelvic floor connection is something which resonates with me, personally, in this moment. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
2 people like this.
Great pelvic floor stuff! I will definitely use this with all of my clients but I'm really excited to use it with my older ones!
1 person likes this.
I just loved this class :) The other day I was struggling to find new ways to explain the pelvic floor engagement to my students, thanks so much Cathleen for this session as it has showered me with new images, resources and connections. Not to mention as well that I loved the pace of your explanations and your sense of humor, wish I was there in the studio with you girls!
Cathleen Murakami
@Christine, YAY....hopefully your voice student will love the term as well
@Connie, PF work is always interesting to come up with new ideas for clients to connect with....glad it was helpful for you.
@Gladys, thanks for taking the time to comment and perhaps in the future, you CAN come and be a part of our class!
1 person likes this.
This was one of the best-taught exercise classes I have ever taken. I have done Pilates casually in the past, but the level of detail I learned here re: proper alignment and breathing was unlike anything I have done before. I really appreciated the careful analogies that helped me visualize and replicate the proper movements. Just outstanding - thank you so much!
1-10 of 25

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin