Valgus and Varus Knees<br>Cara Reeser<br>Tutorial 3475

Valgus and Varus Knees
Cara Reeser
Tutorial 3475

Watch this Tutorial
1 person likes this.
Some great reminders to working with hips. Just a note though regarding varus alignment, bow legs. Mine is not the same and I have hyperextended knees. For that to exist, my legs are in internal rotation, which allows me to push back through the posterior knee, and supinate more on one foot. The result of this and gymnastics when is was younger, was damage to the medial side and posterior knee capsule. So there are all kinds of whacky variations out there.
Jodi H
4 people like this.
You so beautifully articulate a Pilates teacher's role (responsibility, really) to meet people where they are -- not try to "fix" them. Thank you, Cara. Great information, as always.
1 person likes this.
Lynn ~ I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your knees when you were younger! My legs are the same way and Cara has a tutorial on hyperextension coming next week that you may find useful as well. My legs only bow when I lock my knees and relax my external rotators, but once I engage them, I can hug my inner thighs together easily. It is more the result of my hyperextended alignment than a varus alignment.
Lynn Yes endless variations. Always good to keep thinking in to options.
2 people like this.
Thanks Gia. I am no longer hyperextended after 9 years of Pilates, and now, lifting weights. Adding in weight lifting was a must for all my hypermobile joints.
Amy S
1 person likes this.
I was wondering how you would approach working with a leg shape that is rather like a "new born colt" - a very sharp QAngle ...so in standing , knees look valgus and hyperextended, tibia are laterally rotated , feet are either pronated , supinated or one of each? Thank you.
Amy, the idea here is to support the tendency in strain, or when there are external forces acting on the knee. Do what you can to help centre the leg, I like to try from the hip first. But also to remind ourselves that we don't want to force the structure. Honour the structure and support the movement tendency under load. Does this make sense?
1 person likes this.
Thank you very much for this amazing Tutorial!
1 person likes this.
Beautiful! Clear, concise and hugely helpful.
Ewa
1 person likes this.
thank You for all TIPS
1-10 of 25

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin