Traditional Mat Flow<br>Amy Havens<br>Class 4531

Traditional Mat Flow
Amy Havens
Class 4531

Watch this Class
Michele G
2 people like this.
I agree Joan, and personally prefer a 4-6 breathing rhythm for my personal practice and while teaching. 
It’s not only more natural, it better matches the cleansing, awakening breathing intention of “the Hundred.”
Equal breaths, or yogic Sama Vritti Pranayama—aka Box Breath, intends to pacify or relax—taking the body into a parasympathetic state. Again, the intention of 
“the Hundred” is to prepare the body by releasing stagnancy (exhalation is most important), cultivating fresh energy and stabilizing the trunk/pelvis, and is anything but relaxing! The ANS is triggered sympathetically in “the Hundred.”

Equal breaths goes against the body’s natural rhythms in “the Hundred.”
I enjoy Amy's unique honing in "bodycues". Breathing: "Modern researcher is showing us that making even slight adjustments to the way we inhale & exhale, breathing is a tool not a rule try NOT to make your inhale & exhale equal inlength" . "Why not, a chance to get a little extra"
1 person likes this.
Patti Eppolito Kreiner Michele G Joan Breibart  thank you for these comments.  As this was a 'traditional Mat' class and when I went through training years ago and learned the 5/5 breathing as traditional, I felt it was appropriate to offer that here breath pattern here.  I do, however, in many of my own personal workouts and other classes here on PA, vary my breathing patterns.  I value each of your opinions and know that you value mine too.  Thank you.
99% of all Pilates Teachers  do and teach Hundred with the 5/5 and think if  they didn't Joe  would   turn in his grave or  WW III would  break out. Just the way  everyone teaches TWIST ib the  Reformer  even though on  this apparatus it is bio-mechanically wrong.   If   tradition means  wrong  then what good is it?? 
Michele G
1 person likes this.
Thank you, Amy, Patti & Joan! I appreciate your responses and the open forum to discuss such variations and needed upgrades to tradition .
1 person likes this.
Joan Breibart thank you.. and yes, I am a big fan of changing things up, a BIG fan!  Variety in movement is key, yes, and equally or maybe more so, great for our brain!!  Michele G and Patti Eppolito Kreiner , thank you for the conversation.
Arlene R
2 people like this.
I love the outdoor class, very refreshing. good strong class but I feel the hundred would be better suited to 4-6 breathing, stretching that exhale a little more can have great benefits and feels more natural.
1 person likes this.
Hello Arlene R , yes, this breathing rhythm has been discussed.  This class was 'traditional' and I was following the breathing 5/5 that I learned way back in my early days of learning Pilates.  The traditional breath was 5/5, therefore, that's why I put that here.  I often do 4/6 and agree with the benefits.  I also agree it is good to keep changing things up, even 3/7, 2/2, 2/8 etc.  Why not keep challenging both body and mind?
Carole T
1 person likes this.
Love this class!! Love the little variations!!  Thank you Amy!!  
Thank you so much Carole T !
51-60 of 66

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin