The Cervical Powerhouse<br>Cara R. & Jeremy L.<br>Workshop 3660

The Cervical Powerhouse
Cara R. & Jeremy L.
Workshop 3660

Watch this Workshop
3 people like this.
Wonderfully presented workshop! Appreciated how clear everything was presented and the follow through throughout the workshop. Also enjoyed the blend of hearing comments from both a PT and movement teacher. I have yet to get to a Movement Science Made Simple workshop (hope to soon) so I greatly appreciate Pilates Anytime, Cara and Jeremy letting us get a glimpse into their work!! Thank you all!
Hi Bonnie, Thanks for watching and this kind note. I would love to see you some day again. Jeremy and I are teaching at the Balanced Body rehab summit in AZ this spring. I can't remember where you live but I feel like it is AZ? If so maybe you can come to that. Big hugs.
1 person likes this.
Close Cara....NV!! Thanks for letting me know!!
1 person likes this.
Hi Cara and Jeremy, thank you!
Would you elaborate a bit on how osteoporosis or osteopenia clients need to proceed with neck strengthening exercises? I see a huge need for more strength with my osteoP clients but they have a fear instilled by Drs, PTs and partial information on the subject. If they have been diagnosed with osteoporosis in another part of the skeleton is flexion contraindicated with the cervical spine?
Would love to see an equipment workshop on the subject incorporating your Cervical Powerhouse ideas!
Hi Rosemary! Thanks for watching. As you say, the clients have often been given precautions against spinal flexion, which are usually intended to prevent them from doing excessive and/or loaded thoracic flexion. People with osteoporosis will sometimes get wedge fractures in the thoracic spine, which results in an increased fixed thoracic kyphosis. You may have clients that already have some of this wedging, and we certainly don't want to contribute to more of that. So there are a few things I think about when working with flexion for a client with osteoporosis. The first is that Cara and I find that if client is doing good, articulated cervical and lumbar flexion, the curve of the flexion through their whole spine is more distributed, resulting in a less extreme flexion of the thoracic during, say, a roll-down.
[2/2] The second is that we can influence the load by choosing different positions: someone who is lifting their head and shoulders up in a supine position doesn't have gravity loading that bit of flexion the same way they would in doing a standing roll-down, for example. Lastly, if I'm worried about whether a movement might be appropriate for a client, and I'm working on strengthening, I can often find a way to work the muscles I want in a neutral isometric, thereby avoiding the potentially threatening movement. For example, I could work the trunk flexors without doing spinal flexion by doing flat back on the short box. I hope this is helpful! Feel free to email us at info@movementsciencemadesimple.com if you want to chat some more!
1 person likes this.
Thanks so much Jeremy. I worked with clients today and incorporated some of the workshop suggestions. Will continue to develop the strategies. Will def email again!
1 person likes this.
great workshop , very useful informations that I 'm going to use for myself and my clients :)
Thanks Corinne we are so glad you find it useful.
1 person likes this.
Hi Jeremy and Cara, I loved your workshop, thanks so much for all the valuable informations! I will definitely use the knowledge and cues in the exercises with my clients. One question though: what about translation? Side to side, or back and towards the front.. Do you teach those movements at all?
1-10 of 32

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin