Neuroscience and Exercise<br>Mariska Breland<br>Workshop 1334

Neuroscience and Exercise
Mariska Breland
Workshop 1334

Watch this Workshop
Melissa P
Are there any handouts for this course? That is always so incredibly helpful. Thank you!
Melissa ~ There is a pdf of the powerpoint at the bottom of the description. You can click the link and download it to use as a reference when watching the workshop. I hope this helps!
Hi Mariska can you clarify with spasticity after a stroke and footwork on the jump board as you advised would you take the leg and hip into full extension if they are shaking and how would you cue a client to get their brain to reduce this shaking - I ask because my client struggles to straighten the leg and would like to correct gait ? Is this also something that can be attributable with central nervous sensitization as I have clients with EDS that shake or is it more muscle fatigue not neurological ? Thanks x
Hi jo - spasticity is a tough one. The reason for the jumpboard is to do one thing of several you can do to break the extensor spasm pattern. Others that are often more effective are to do things side lying or seated. Another trick you can try is to try to divert the brain by asking random questions while he or she is moving - “what did you have for breakfast” or tasks like counting backwards from 100 in 3s. Also spasticity is an extremely complex and insidious problem. Medication and other treatments are very often needed.
Suzanne S
Someone mentioned the Mind the Movement workshop. When is that? I thought this workshop was informative but I’m looking for more exercise and programming for this client type.
Hi Suzanne, This workshop was originally named Mind the Movement and because we didn’t think it was clear that it was about neuroscience, we changed the name. If there is another workshop that better suits your needs, I’m not sure what it would be but hope the PA staff can help answer that question for you. Best, mariska
I loved this workshop I bought it because one of my clienS has a neurological issue and I learned a ton and got some greAt ideas well done 
Hi Mariska, very interisting workshop. Can I use the same  techniques for motor neuron disease? 
Ulna I'm glad you liked it! Great question. So motor neuron disease (including things like ALS) affects the motor nerves in both the central and peripheral nervous system. Once there is death to a peripheral nerve, it's not coming back. BUT, there are millions of nerves, and there may be some spared (up to a point). In CNS diseases, you try to get the brain to rewire around damage. For peripheral diseases, that isn't possible. What I would do is try to work the core to move the limbs as much as possible - example - the shoulder moving the arm as opposed to doing a lot of exercises on wrist strength if that area is getting weak. I would need more details about the specific case, but I hope that's helpful. 
Jennifer S
does this touch on reformer? or is it just mat?
41-50 of 55

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin