Hamstring Tutorial<br>Karen Sanzo<br>Tutorial 1220

Hamstring Tutorial
Karen Sanzo
Tutorial 1220

Watch this Tutorial
1 person likes this.
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the great tutorial! Any ideas for really tight hamstrings, that can't even get as straight as us Pilates instructors? Would you have them work without the ball?
1 person likes this.
I have done many hamstring active stretches and massage using various balls, rollers etc. in many positions. This is my FAVORITE! Excellent cues, and demonstration. I like the pole to help with spine alignment awareness and raising arms. I just now call this "Hello Hamstrings!" Thanks
Karen Sanzo
1 person likes this.
I recently had a hamstring injury....like 2 months ago.... I was drawn back to this tutorial. Active mobilization is the ideal for hamstring flexibility and return to activity. Really "tight" hamstrings (as mentioned above by Laura Altman) need active work. Simultaneous work includes low back flexibility and pelvis awareness. Especially in relation to the hip sockets at the 'bottom' of the pelvis, and the spine articulation at the 'top' of the pelvis.
Hi Karen I really liked your last comment about tight hamstrings often linked to tight low back/upper pelvis. I do find with my "extra tight" clients that they lack good awareness/control of the low back and pelvis. So I can see the benefit in the way you teach this stretch, as it increases spinal awareness and articulation, as well as releasing the hamstrings. Inhaling to broaden the ribs to assist flexion also makes sense to me - particularly when you are breaking the movement down slowly.

I hope you can explain the smiling while inhaling a little more - missed the bit about what muscles that turns on/off and why this works.

Thank you!
Great cue to smile while flexing the head- it feels so much better, and its so common to see a turned down mouth as our clients necks flex in e.g roll up or spine stretch- I am off to look up facial muscles in more detail. Thanks for this tutorial.
Jocelyn T
Looking forward to trying this. Thank you.
Alice Jane
the dolphins playing to your incredible instruction! AMAZING! 
Great. Love the tip on facial muscles with the smile . Thank you 
11-18 of 18

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin