Pilates for Scoliosis<br>Madeline Black<br>Workshop 1261

Pilates for Scoliosis
Madeline Black
Workshop 1261

Watch this Workshop
Madeline Black
Hi Paulinka, No, I do not teach regular classes on scoliosis. If you have a person in a regualr mat class with significant scoliosis, mat classes are not advised if they experience pain or discomfort. If they do not have dsicomfort or pain, then I would allow them to continue moving. Yes, private work is preferred. best to you!
Valya Karcher
Thank you Madeline! I've watched your workshop and class multiple times and each time I get a little more out of it. I have quite a few clients with scoliosis and we're all on a learning curve and we're all benefiting. Cheers!
1 person likes this.
Thank you Madeline Black for this fantastic workshop. Lots of valuable information. I will watch this again and again
1 person likes this.
What a great workshop Madeline, I would like to know if is possible another workshop about Hyperkyphosis specially in older people. Thank you!
Madeline Black
Thank you Julian, graeat idea, it is up to Pilates Anytime folks to schedule these wrkshops. Contact them and request! I would be happy to address the hyperkyphosis in older people.
Hi Madeline Black I've just completed your workshop a little late i guess.
I have a query after working with one of my clients who has an S curve, right thoracic curvature. Her left thorax is concave. Her left hip is higher and rotated right.
She complained of right shoulder discomfort after she was doing the homework of translating into her left concavity. No discomfort during our session though. She also mentioned her neck was feeling tight.
She complained of her sciatica pain increasing as well and her neck.
I only see her once a week and during the week I think she uses a hard roller to work out her facsia.

I would like to understand the sciatica pain more and how to address it.
The shoulder issue from the weak side might indicate a postural issue while she is doing her breathing exercises but if you can shed light on this i would be very greatful.

Madeline Black
Hi Christine, it is never too late! Language is always tricky when we speak or write about the body. Your client sounds as if she is a four curve? If you go back an review the three, four and five curves, this may help. You have to observe the whole spine when working with bringing the spine towards the middle, even the slightest movement. It sounds as if her movement is compressing her other curves. If the right convex side translates to the left, her lumbar and cervical need to also move toward the midline. It is possible she is only moving the thorax part and not the whole spine. Review the lecture and the "boxes". If the ribcage is not under the shoulder to support it, it may cause discomfort. The hip joints are affected as well, if the pelvis and lumbar are being shifted away from the midline. This can cause compression too.
Madeline Black
Review the movement where the client stands with one foot in front of the other and draws themself together. This is the feeling of intentioning the spine toward the midline as best as possible, even the smallest amount. You see her once a week. Is she doing a specific home program daily? The hard roller may be causing more discomfort than help. It is difficult to help via a commentary. But, I hope this did.
Hi Madeline Black
So she has an S curve. Correct, so are you saying that she should translate to the right, and not the left concavity? Should i have her do this in order that the shoulder has support from the ribs?
What about the directed breathe? Is she ok to breath into it?
Then tell me about her hips.
Does she correct her rotation to match the ribs?
Madeline Black
Christine I wish to use the language of the number of curves rather than C or S because these are not as accurate. Her S curve is either a 4 or five curve. Please review this part on the video. Her main presentation is a right convexity in the thorax or thoracolumbar? Her lumbar is left convexity, and her sacrum and cervical? If her right convexity is thoracic not thoraclumbar, then translating to the left brings the ribs under her shoulder girdle. However, a big however, you have to observe her whole spine as I said above. You can see the proper translation when standing one foot in front of the other exercise. Review that. Your client should not have increased pain. It is too tricky to give you advise in a forum. We could do a session via Skype if you and your client is interested.
31-40 of 79

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin