Matwork Leading to the Bow<br>Elizabeth Larkam<br>Class 1496

Matwork Leading to the Bow
Elizabeth Larkam
Class 1496

Watch this Class
9 people like this.
How does she always maintain that ethereal tone that is so calming while throwing out profound connections as if it were nothing and leading you up to that single leg kick that burns so lovely? And sense of humor too? Elizabeth you were an angel in my apartment today. Thank you :)
3 people like this.
Brilliant as always. Thank you!
Couldn't say it any better than you Kailey. 100% agree.
Ronda P
3 people like this.
Kailey not cracking up throughout the shoot is the real challenge...heheheh
1 person likes this.
This class is fantastic!! I loved the smooth rhythm of the cues and the ingenius way the progression flowed. Thank you so much Elizabeth!
1 person likes this.
Brilliant. I love Elizabeth's classes! I love the oscillation but don't quite understand the purpose of it.. ...can someone explain why its done, feels great and how do we explain it to our clients??
3 people like this.
Maureen, I usually tell my clients that we can detect a break in the energy chain if the oscillation gets "stuck" somewhere in the body. Keeping the rock going, but only from one foot at a time, or any of the variations Elizabeth does, shows if there is a hold in an ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, neck, or even muscles like the quads or abdominals. The oscillation very often corrects those breaks without any need to talk about it. Important information if you're working up to swan rocking that requires energy to be fluid from one end of the body to the other without gripping.
There is also a benefit of calming the neuromuscular system, but that is another way of saying "working from a place of release."
Hope that helps a little.
2 people like this.
Hi Kailey, Thank you so much for that wonderful explanation! Can't wait to try this out with my clients. I love this holistic approach, so much of this is missing in exercise but I think Pilates and Yoga bridges that gap somewhat. x
Maureen, thanks so much for your enthusiasm and curiosity. And Kailey, many thanks for your kindness and clarity. My answer is too long for one post so will come in two posts. In the 1970s I first experienced oscillations (supine heel rocking) during modern dance classes that were influenced by somatics. Later in the 1990s during a Feldenkrais Guild Certified training program I learned that Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais used oscillations in his Functional Integration lessons and Awareness Through Movement lessons. My entire approach to Pilates is strongly influenced by Feldenkrais studies and experience. During mat classes I use oscillations to provide an 'intermission' between strenuous Pilates exercises. The rhythmic motion functions as a 'reset button' for the body and the mind.
This mat class, 'Sequence for Success, Swan Dive' is very demanding for the spine extensors and Superficial Back Line Myofascial Meridian. I do not want to use spine flexion to relieve the spine extensors since it is important to sustain momentum toward spine extension for Rocking in Bow and Swan Dive. Oscillations provide a beneficial opportunity to practice movement continuity through all the joints. The advanced Pilates mat exercises for spine extension activate the Posterior Oblique Sling System together with the support of the Anterior Oblique Sling System. Ideally both diagonals of these Sling System will be balanced. If not, the Bow and Swan Dive will be asymmetrical, making it difficult to rock on a central axis. I include oscillations in different orientations (supine, prone) with varying ground forces ( back of heels, shoulder blades, soles of feet, palms of hands) in order to balance the Myofascial Slings and prepare for the advanced Pilates mat exercises in extension.
1-10 of 30

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin