Prenatal Full-Body Mat<br>Leah Stewart<br>Class 239

Prenatal Full-Body Mat
Leah Stewart
Class 239

Watch this Class
Loved the class. I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I also have a 2 year old, so time is not on always on my side but having such great instruction at hand is perfect. I'm a group exercise teacher of high impact classes, I stopped teaching a month ago and I'm feeling it, you have given me that added lift. Thank you.
That was a great class! I just started working out again. I stopped working out when I got pregnant, because I just had no stamina for it, and I'm in med school. I used to do yoga and pilates regularly before that. I'm 21 weeks now and have much more energy. This was definitely challenging for me, and I was feeling the burn. But I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad that I found something that is challenging enough to get me in shape while I'm pregnant, yet safe to do. Let's just hope I can keep it up during the 3rd trimester.
April,

Congratulations! That is so exciting. I am so glad that you enjoyed the class and that you felt challenged yet safe. All the best to you in the remainder of your pregnancy and med school. Let me know if you have any questions.

Leah
gfit,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the class and that you are finding time to do it, even with a two year old. I know that this response is late and you've had your little one by now - Congratulations!! If you have any questions about postnatal exercises, please do not hesitate to ask.

Take care,

Leah
Thank you Leah! Great class.
1 person likes this.
Thank you. What words of wisdom can we offer moms to not focus on the rectus abdominal but rather the TVA.. I'm new to teaching post natal and was always taught no forward flexion as it wasn't necessary.. These rhythms and exercises shown here are nicely done.. It's reassuring, but yes, if you can help in cueing..that would be great
1 person likes this.
Hi Heidi,

Great question. The idea of no spinal forward flexion can be complicated and sometimes confusing. It is true, with pregnant woman (2nd trimester and beyond) as well as women in their first few months postpartum, we want to avoid certain types of forward flexion. This includes forward flexion where the trunk lifts off the mat from a supine position (Chest Lift, Double Leg Stretch, Hundred). This type of forward flexion puts an immense amount of pressure on the already stressed abdominal and pelvic floor muscles, potentially causing more stress and stretch.

In saying this, the forward flexion I use in my pre- and post-natal classes here on PA are safe and yes, even challenging at times. Each woman will respond differently to these exercises.

(continued in next comment box)
1 person likes this.
In pre- and post-natal Pilates programming we do focus more on the obliques and the TVA, but inevitably there will be a certain amount of rectus activation and engagement due to the ranges of motion we use during the exercises. For example, a simple posterior tilt of the pelvis (a very common and popular pre- and post-natal exercise) uses the rectus in conjunction with the other abdominal muscles. It's how we use these muscles together that keep the exercises safe and effective.

I hope that this helps you out Heidi. I think that you'll find some very helpful cues by simply watching my classes. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Leah
Hi Leah.

I am currently in my 2nd trimester and i have been using your video to workout. It feels great after having done this.
It would be great if you could post some more workout videos as it would be really helpful and give a range of workout. I really enjoy your classes!

Thanks
Monika
Monika,

I am so glad that you are using the prenatal classes here on PA.

I will definitely be adding to the pre/post natal classes in the future

Leah
1-10 of 50

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin