Yoga-Inspired Reformer<br>Courtney Miller<br>Class 2459

Yoga-Inspired Reformer
Courtney Miller
Class 2459

Watch this Class
Jeannean M
1 person likes this.
Love the blend and new ways to use the carriage. Going to watch for more classes like this. Level 3+ please :)
1 person likes this.
I really enjoyed doing this class, and Courtney Miller executes the movements beautifully. However, take the "3" level seriously! If you have any issues with shoulder stability, or even if you were to just lose focus, I think you could really injure yourself with some of these exercises.
Courtney Miller
Hi Everyone! I'm beyond thrilled to receive your comments and hear you are incorporating the exercises found in my video into your Pilates practice!! Please remember, as with all advanced repertoire, master the preparatory movements before progressing to the full exercise. Check out my level 2 videos here on Pilates Anytime (including the mat classes) for many preps that will get your mind and body ready to rock this workout! I break down many of the Yoga sequences with a slower pace and more explanations in those level 2 and 2/3 videos :)
Courtney Miller
In this class, the instability of the reformer carriage is used to help cross train the experienced Yogi and Pilates practitioner to teach them to move from a place of power and strength and not (*what I call) "hang from their joints" giving them a false sense of flexibility by going to their extreme end range of motion without the strength to support the pose. For example, the Warrior sequences in this video require an even and equal effort from the hip flexors/extensors/ab + adductors. This is something we teach on the mat, but when done on the reformer the instructor can immediately observe an imbalance and offer effective corrections. Similarly, when teaching Downward Facing Dog on the reformer the teacher can encourage correct scapular position by not only using tactile adjustments but also having the client move the carriage to achieve better alignment and muscular connections. It is so cool to see this happen!
Courtney Miller
It's also important to remember if you have an advanced self lead practice that you should have a solid grasp of each exercise in the flow (this may mean you have to watch the class a few times before doing the movements), monitor your own resistance and modify when needed, and demonstrate self compassion by setting achievable expectations (these change daily!) and being OK with omitting sequences that are not appropriate for you. You guys ROCK! Thanks for making this the best Pilates community on the planet!!
1 person likes this.
You have inspired me and enriched my Pilates classes since you started teaching at Pilates Anytime. I danced with the National Ballet of Canada in the 1970's, so I love Canada and of course Stott. I lost my studio in Naples, FL. (where I live now) due to the death of my husband, but I am teaching yoga and Pilates part-time again. This yoga class that you performed on the reformer is one of the most remarkable feats I can imagine. I hope someday to perfect it! I love your creativity - I love you!!!!
Courtney Miller
Kate Thank you for sharing this with me! It brings me so much joy to hear you've enjoyed my classes on Pilates Anytime! Thank you for being amazing and for your very kind comment. Sending you hugs from CA!
1 person likes this.
Love all your classes, Courtney! This was the most challenging for me for many reasons but you have motivated me to master it one day. Thank you for all your creative cuing and enthusiasm!
Wonderful-thank you!!
Clear, creative, challenging, nice class
11-20 of 40

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin