Mind-Body Connection<br>Monica Wilson<br>Class 2472

Mind-Body Connection
Monica Wilson
Class 2472

Watch this Class
Great class.. I think I am going to redo it many times before moving to class 5
1 person likes this.
You are an amazing teacher Monica; every classes I take no matter basic or advanced you make me understand and focused what I am doing...thank you
Hi Monica, I know this was done many years ago, but I was hoping I could ask a question. I hurt my back after doing Pilates for years and now after doing your level 1 classes I know why. I am still struggling though with inhaling while still holding everything tight. I tend to inhale then start lifting and I use the exhale to do everything. I'm holding my breath a lot because now I'm fearful of putting the strain on my lower back. Do you have any suggestions to help me with this?
Thank you so much I've learned so much from you. You are an excellent teacher.
Margie
Monica Wilson
Hi Margie, Breathing is one of the last principles of Pilates we master. It seems like it should be really easy but it is not. Especially when we tend to tighten up as we inhale. My advice would be to inhale as you lift your head to your chest and exhale into the mat. Or another way of thinking about exhaling into the mat is feeling your ribs and lungs expand on the mat as you exhale. Once you have done the initial inhale to lift your head to your chest and exhale into the mat, your are set and ready to execute your exercises safely, even if you cannot hold your powerhouse in when you inhale. The best place to understand how to hold your powerhouse in while inhaling is the Wall Exercises.  I review these exercise in class #6 of this series (Class#2539). Hope this helps! This is one of my favorite mat class series. I am so glad you have found it and it is helping you! Blessings, Monica
Tracey S
Thank you Monica for all the visuals- especially the bowl dumping back and forward!  I have become so aware now of my "bowl."  I do have one question.  Although I have been doing pilates, mainly on the reformer, I still have very tight muscles.  As stated by the woman I get massages from, "Your wound tight."  Pretty much every part of me.  For some of the exercises is it first necessary to have the flexibility, say in your hamstrings?  
Monica Wilson
Hi Tracey, I am “wound tight” as well. They keep trying to tell me to relax when I get a massage:) Try doing class#3333 before doing your Pilates work. Let me know if these stretches help to get more out of your mat. Hope this helps! Monica
Winter J
I have tried seal so many times, and I can never get up! I always end falling back! 
Ying Ying W
Hi Monica, thank you for the great beginner class series! I hope I can still ask a question and get answer from you... I have listened to your advice and repeat this class many times (6 or 7 times), but when I was doing rolling back up, it is so hard that my feet kept wanting to lift up to help.  I always know I have tight lower back, both spines and muscles, and of course my ab is not very strong either... so should I just keep repeating this same class then I will finally get there? Or do you have any other suggestions to help me?
Thank you!!
Monica Wilson
Hi Ying Ying, I am so glad you are enjoying the series! Sometimes my lower back gets very stiff as well. I created class#3333 to help those that need to stretch a little before beginning Pilates. Especially mat work. Try doing that class right before this one and see if you are able to move more freely. Hugging a midline is also very important to activate your inner & outer thighs as well as hip muscles. The Magic circle can really help but if you do not have one try squeezing a rolled up towel or better yet, a slightly deflated 6"-9"ball between your inner thighs as you do the roll back. Finally, the Gratz mat has a strap that we slip our feet under if we are having a hard time keeping our feet down on the mat. Try slipping your feet under your couch or a good size club chair. Make sure you are using it only as much as you need to and are focussing on strengthening your Power House and stretching your lower back more then gripping with the quads (upper thighs). I hope these tips are helpful! Blessings! Monica 
Monica Wilson
Hi Winter, So sorry I missed seeing your comment earlier. There are some exercises/transitions in Pilates that take a little longer then others to execute. The Neck Pull was that one for me. The biggest thing with standing up after Seal is having "forward energy" and a lot of boost from your feet, backs of your thighs and bottom. Try holding onto the back or side of a heavy couch and practicing your Pilates sit and your Pilates stand. As you sit, try to pull your Powerhouse in opposition to the heavy couch, scooping into your back. On the way up, try to plant your feet and feel the back of your legs and bottom boost you up as well as your Powerhouse lifting in and up! If I was giving you an in person lesson, I would assist you sitting and standing to help you get the feeling of the correct muscle groups and forward energy. Hopefully the couch will help you get the same feeling. Hope this helps! Thank you for your comment! Monica
21-30 of 35

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin