Understand the Pelvic Floor<br>Brent Anderson<br>Workshop 2502

Understand the Pelvic Floor
Brent Anderson
Workshop 2502

Watch this Workshop
Thank you Brent--very informative---enjoyed the mat class as well.  I have a question though:  My understanding is that during inhalation diaphragm contracts, descends--pelvic floor gently relaxes down and during exhalation diaphragm relaxes and ascends --pelvic floor gently lifts.  I keep getting the question wrong of what happens when abdominals contract.  Is the questions based solely on what happens if proper breathing doesn't occur and abdominals are contracted volitionally?
Great question Mickey.  If we think of the pelvic floor, diaphragm and abdominal/lumbar muscles in a more elastic way, rather than contraction mechanics, might make it easier to understand how the intra-abdominal pressure is maintained constant based on load.  The key here is that when we breath, and we should, it can displace/increase-decrease the IAP, however the elasticity of the whole core varies based on the load that we are bearing.  Higher the load leads to more tone.  I hope that helps.  I will be offering a free webinar on the Pelvic floor research we are doing this Thursday at 3pm EST www.polestarpilates.com/webinar.&nbsp; You can register for it and see it whenever you like.  Again, great question, hope I answered it
Thanks Brent!  Definitely helps and will focus on how much IAP needed for the anticipated activity.  I will sign up as well--thanks!
Excellent Workshop x I LOVED the philosophical insights on movement and exercise in the 2nd section and the exercises in the 3rd.  Natural organic movements using the Diaphragm to recruit the Pelvic Floor x reinforced what I already knew and also enlightened my understanding.  Brent is ALWAYS my first choice on Pilates Anytime
Does anyone know if this class qualifies for Balanced Body continuing education? 
Christine S
Thank you as always Pilates Anytime and Brent for such an insightful workshop and discussion. Teaching today felt like a new beginning which was so much more joyful. I gave myself permission to not over-talk and think more deeply about what each individual may be aspiring to in their Pilates sessions with a focus on flow and natural movement - without excessive anatomical information and verbal cueing.  Onwards and upwards.
Loving Brent's workshops!  As a Pilates Instructor, it is great to get clarification with explanations.  Now I need to retrain the cueing habits that I was taught along the way.  It is a little frustrating to know that I learned things that are inaccurate along the way.  

Can the Mat exercises be taught to students with prolapses?
What do you advise teaching to those with osteoporosis?
Could you do a class on the Reformer that has the same focus as your Mat class?  

I was surprised by how challenging the mid squat and arm flutter were to hold.  

Since this was done in 2016 has there been further research and follow-up that gave more insight into the Pelvic Floor?  The Physiotherapist I work for suggested we offer a special class to focus on pelvic health for both men and women so would love to learn more.

Thank you Julie, so glad this class still has meaning and value.  Have a great holiday
Brent references a Hodges study: transversus abdominis contracts 50 milliseconds faster than any volitional contraction. If my notes are correct cannot find study-could you provide?
Brent references a Hodges study: transversus abdominis contracts 50 milliseconds faster than any volitional contraction. If my notes are correct cannot find study-could you provide?
31-40 of 51

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin