John Steel<br>John Steel<br>Discussion 2503

John Steel
John Steel
Discussion 2503

Watch this Discussion
Reiner G
1 person likes this.
Thank you so much Kristi! It was really eye oppening. And I back up Lynn's first question about Jay.
Thank you Pilates anytime and John. It is facinating to hear about the history and hear from those who have experienced Joe and Clara personally. Thank you and I look forward to your book.
2 people like this.
2 Questions from Lynn: Jay Grimes and the private room. I am sure I met Jay Grimes at the 56th St Studio, but do not recall anything about him. I know he called on Clara - socially I believe - after Joe died. There was no private room in the 8th Ave. gym. Joe may have taken clients to his apartment next door, or he may have had a room across the hall. I never saw this happen so do not know what he did with special injuries in private. Mostly he thought the conventional routine would fix everything. He rarely changed anything or paid attention to complaints in the gym. His clients were reluctant to complain. He never asked if there were special problems.
Sally Anderson
So important to have these interviews PA. Beautifully done and very precious. I also have to say what a wonderful, authentic and insightful man I think John is. Completely charming! And Kristi's hot stuff too ;)
Thank you so much for answering these questions John. You continue to give to this community and it is greatly appreciated. Sally Anderson, you're pretty "hot stuff" yourself (and thank you!)!
2 people like this.
I too want to voice my appreciation to PA for its commitment to our shared history. This project is so important and we are so lucky to benefit from Kristi's vision and dedication. Thank you! Since I have the good fortune to teach in Amy's studio, I cornered John one morning and asked a few questions. He is so kind and shares so generously! Anyway, I too wanted to know about Mr. Pilates rehabilitative work such as with Eve Gentry. John was emphatic that "there was no back room!" Would still love to hear more on the topic, but that's at least a start on Lynn's question.
2 people like this.
Oops, next time I'll be sure to read PAGE 2 of the comments before responding! John himself had already answered, silly me!
Hi Amy, thank you for giving john my questions. I read his response and find it curious. Jay says he was one of the people to help Clara find her apartment following Joe's death, and yes, would visit. So if John was a part of this group, then he should remember Jay. I just find it odd, that many of the elders do not speak about Jay, yet he worked out with Joe and then helped out teaching. Maybe it's a timing issue?
1 person likes this.
Hi Aliza: thank you for cornering John in the studio. Ha ha. Do you know what is Johns favourite exercise is that Amy won't let him do because he has it mastered so well?? I think we would all love to be in your or Amy's shoes right now. And it would be such a treat to see him work out now, at 80, following what Joe taught him. Specifically if there is a difference to what Romana taught people. Would this not be a great idea to tape if John were up to it?? Maybe you, Amy and Kristi could persuade him??
Not sure you want to see me work out!!! Jay - it is curious. Clara stayed in the original apartment after Joe died. So Jay made that up. Jay, as far as I know, did not teach at the 939 Studio. He may have helped Romana. Romana did not change much for the first few years - she followed what John Winters and Hannah told her. Clara came in once or twice a week and watched. Romana did use ballet dancers as helpers. I, like most of the Joe clients, kept doing it exactly as Joe taught us. Romana made no effort to change that. She probably learned from us. She learned the star (1 spring) from me. One rarely saw her do the work. She was an excellent teacher. JOHN
11-20 of 48

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin