Playing with Body Angles<br>Elizabeth Larkam<br>Class 2505

Playing with Body Angles
Elizabeth Larkam
Class 2505

Watch this Class
1 person likes this.
Elizabeth: I always enjoy seeing so much of this spiral work. Obviously great for whole body integration and tensegrity. Would you do any of the first half of the lower body for people who. Red hip replacements pre-surgery to get their slings to better support them? I also see this as be beneficial for people with shoulder issues. Perhaps for people just starting out there is a modification to standing right on the carriage? Tall kneeling instead? So human of you to acknowledge, that in a moment of not paying attention, how we can lose out integrity quickly, no matter how long you do this work. It gets the best of us. Thank you Norris for showing how a mans body can relate to these exercises. Not just for women. It's about the human body.
Elizabeth,
Thanks a million for sharing your outstanding knowledge and creativity! It's one of the best spine and hip opening sequences I've ever experienced.
Thank you Lynn for your deep understanding. Even though research proves the value of standing for all aspects of health, we have the responsibility to prepare our clients to move safely in standing and to provide functional, fulfilling sequences when standing is not an option. As you suggest, many of these standing sequences can be practiced in quadruped, sitting, high kneeling and standing with support of a barre or poles.
The sequence I teach in the PA class is a program for one of my clients. We started working together prior to his left hip replacement, continued following his left hip replacement and continue now to manage his degenerative right hip.So yes, these sequences can be responsibly adapted for clients who are anticipating hip replacement, and progressing following hip replacement.
So happy this class works for you Victoria! I have been to your studio, Body Harmonics in Toronto, and would love to visit again the week of July 11 when I come to Toronto to take a course from Jaap van der Wal.
It is certainly the ultimate challenge since the whole body needs to be controlled the whole time. I wonder if anyone but a former or current dancer can accomplish that.
That said I appreciate the work and thank you for it.
I appreciate your concern Copycat. Since Pilates is a superb practice for safely developing motor control, many clients can develop the skill to enjoy and benefit from at least some of these sequences. The key is in creating an order of exercises that provides the client with experiential building blocks and confidence. This Pilates Anytime class is an example of an exercise order that works well for my clients, the vast majority of whom have no dance background. No matter what the client background, safety and functional benefit are always paramount.
Thank you Elizabeth. I always become wiser with your classes
I look forward to meeting you in person and learning more from you, Elizabeth!
Myla P
It would be wonderful if these exercises could be translated to other kinds of equipment that don't have risers or different weight springs like Graz equipment
Myla, it's likely that you will be able to practice thiese exercises on Reformers other than Balanced Body. Most likely this will require more strength and control. When the user interface has fewer degrees of freedom/adjustability the mover has to have more degrees of freedom and skill. An analogy with mobile phones mightv work here. All mobile phones support voice calls. In addition to that , each type of phone offers different features. All the best to you!
1-10 of 21

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin