Mat for Bone Density<br>Sherri Betz<br>Class 2817

Mat for Bone Density
Sherri Betz
Class 2817

Watch this Class
1 person likes this.
thank you, thanks was very helpful, learnt some new tips which I can use taking forward. x
Maryam
1 person likes this.
Thank you for great modification :)
Hi so jumping is ok for someone with advanced osteoporosis?
Sherri Betz
Hi Victoria , No jumping would be very risky for someone with advanced osteoporosis. Confounding factors would be: low bone density of -3.0 T score or lower, thoracic kyphosis, higher than 7 cm Occiput to Wall distance, decreased rib to pelvis distance less than 2 fingers, height loss of greater than 1.5" and especially no jumping if they have had a previous vertebral fracture.
1 person likes this.
Thank you for response, yes thats my client..she had fractures already..bit at loss with her, also she attends agroup class, i only have 3-6people in it but still its challenging to keep everybody moving...with her needing so much attention...but your modifactionss for the basic mat order would be appropriate it seems to me or?
Sherri Betz
1 person likes this.
Yes, Victoria , they would be appropriate for her.
Penelope P
1 person likes this.
Lots here that's helpful Sherri, but I was surprised to find jumping in a workout for people with osteoporosis! Impact work I cannot do! You said you started your career in the 80's, that's when I started to wreck the joints in my feet with high impact aerobic classes! I also have damaged joints in my hips. I'd love to be able to do a warm up like yours, but will have to modify it to a low impact one.
Also, the foot warm up is only possible if you don't have osteoporosis in your big toe joint.
I'd love to find a class that I could do without having to modify or miss out sections, and hoped that as yours was billed as being for osteoporosis, I'd found one at last.
Sherri Betz
Dear Penelope I am so sorry to hear about your joint issues with jumping and can totally understand your frustration. This class was meant to be a more advanced option for fit people who have mild osteoporosis or osteopenia that are able to safely perform and tolerate jumping. Jumping and high intensity strength training have been shown to have the best effects on building bone. I have tried to offer a lot of different options for the folks with bone issues at all levels. Here is the link to the the "Too Fit to Fracture Consensus on Managing Osteoporosis Through Exercise" with specific guidelines and recommendations. I would suggest that you try Class #1481 which is an intermediate workout without the jumping. It might be just what you are looking for!
So much learning just be doing this class. Thank you !!!
Great information and class for so many students out there. Thank you!
31-40 of 56

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin