Postnatal Healing Mat<br>Leah Stewart<br>Class 405

Postnatal Healing Mat
Leah Stewart
Class 405

Watch this Class
Thank you Leah. I am seeing her next week for a 1 to 1 class and will move slowly with her.
Geraldine
Hi Leah, I am 6 weeks post delivery and starting back into my Pilates routine. I had a c-section and tried this class today and loved it! Thank you so much for the great routine. I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to how many times per week I should be doing this class and others like it. Thanks
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your question, it's a great and common one. And I am so happy that you enjoyed this class. I myself was 9 weeks postpartum when we filmed it. I have a two-fold answer for you. First, this class is safe for you to do at this point in your recovery as often as you like. This class was designed for safe early postpartum recovery and wellness that could be done everyday if desired. The bottom line is that you have to listen to your body and not push it beyond where it feels comfortable, confident and safe. For some, that means doing a class like this every other day or doing 1/2 of the class one day and the other half the next. It is so personalized. Rest assured that the exercises are perfectly safe, it is up to you depending on your time, energy and body on how often you do them.

(My answer is continue in the next comment box.......)
1 person likes this.
Second, at this point in your recovery, particularly with a c-section, beware of postnatal Pilates classes that may be designed for a bit later in the postpartum recovery process. Please avoid traditional abdominal exercises that require supine truck flexion (Hundred, Chest Lift, etc) or exercises that require you to lower straight legs in a supine position as they may possibly do more harm than good at this point. Those exercises should be added as you progress through you recovery and regain strength and stability. As you can see in this class, there are many great, safe abdominal exercises that will guide you back to being able to do more traditional Pilates ab exercises in due time.

The goal of my postnatal programming and exercise modifications are to give women many, many options for fantastic exercises that are fun, safe and effective.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1 person likes this.
This was a great "light" class for Post-partum Pilates.
Although I'm nowhere near the "early" post-partum period (my son in 18 months old), I've only now started to do Pilates in order to try "fix" my lower-back-right-hip area which has been sore since delivery!!

Keep it up, and you should post more post-natal! I think Pilates is basically THE solution for getting your body back after pregnancy.

During my last pregnancy I just did yoga and some sport in the swimming pool, but now I see I could've done pilates all along (aside from the first 3 months where I had constant nausea)! It might have prevented my current pain altogether.

Thanks
Micaela,

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the class

Your bring up a great point that you are no where near the early postpartum time. That's perfectly okay. I get asked a lot whether women later in their postpartum period should start with my "beginning" classes, and the answer is always, yes. These classes are designed to re-educate the body in a safe way and are not just for those in their first few weeks postpartum. In fact, many instructors use these exercises for prenatal work, older adults, obese clients, etc.

cont in next post
Pilates is fantastic for pre and post natal work, but most importantly, it sounds like you found a movement modality that sparks a little light in you

In regards to your tight-lower-right-hip area, sometimes pregnancy and labor, plus the demands of caring for children can wreak havoc on our bodies. Sometimes muscular imbalances and structural misalignment can lead to a lot of pain. Hopefully, as you get deeper into your Pilates practice, the musculature will begin to balance, the alignment come back into place and the pain will subside.

Please let me know if you have any other questions

Leah
Dear Leah,

Thanks for your prompt reply! I'm kooking forward to doing your other classes as well.

Keep up the good work!

Micaela
Dear Leah,

I am now 6 weeks post-partum and this was my first class back. Thank you so much for your class. It felt amazing to get back And funny enough, as I had mentioned before, my little girl was just mesmerized by the sound of your voice during all 40 minutes ! I guess she recognized your voice from all the pre-natal classes
I hope you are well and enjoying your second pregnancy.
Warmly, Tania
Tania,

Congratulations! I am so happy that this class felt good on your body And it warms my heart that your little girl likes the sound of the Pilates class too. All the best to you

Leah
11-20 of 31

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin