Beginner Mat Breakdown 2<br>Monica Wilson<br>Class 808

Beginner Mat Breakdown 2
Monica Wilson
Class 808

Watch this Class
2 people like this.
The lady is an excellent practitioner. and a pleasure to observe. It is most challenging to ROLL LIKE A BALL in slow motion and also get your sitz bones up to the ceiling. Beautifully demonstrated.
1 person likes this.
Missing breathing cues....
wish you could do a total Level 1 version. Super for short on time but want to do something. Love the detail !
Lisa ~ Monica has a 10 class beginning series you should check out.

Monica's Beginner Series
Confused by "get your head on the mat" for rolling like a ball...
Deborah ~ We have a section called Exercises that has examples of these moves and here is a link to the Rolling Like A Ball tutorial. I hope that helps!
Thanks Hannah....I saw the tutorial and at no point does kristi say you have to get your head on the mat in order to get your hips over your shoulders when you are rolled back.....this is the kind of info which is going to confuse and possibly cause injury to the public....
Deborah, Thank you for giving us an opportunity to speak to the different cues you hear amongst instructors on this site. Rolling like a ball is taught in several different ways. Many teachers encourage you to roll back to touch your head to the mat, while others do not. I understand that this can be confusing but it also suggests there should only be one way to do it and/or describe it. Depending on who the instructor learned from Romana (Monica) vs. Rael (me) etc... you will have different interpretations on how best to execute the exercise. At its most basic level, you can look at the shape of the exercise and speculate the intention of the cue from there. In this case, we are trying to maintain the ball like shape we start with. PA intentionally offers teachers that come from different lineages so that our members will hear different ways of doing the exercises. I can assure you every teacher on this site meets or set the standard for excellence in Pilates. ....
Sometimes too much info is a bad thing and people get confused. My hope is always that the confusion leads to questions like yours. I will forward it on to Monica so she doesn't miss it and perhaps explain her reason for the cue in question. For my part, I generally don't teach head to the mat because I like to generate the momentum from a smaller range of motion. I did however enjoy the difference my body felt when Monica taught me to go all the way to the mat on this day.
1-10 of 25

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin