Help with Roll-Up

I'm going to go and change my profile name right now, not sure why I left it out, my first name is Arlene.
Ahhh... Arlene... Beautiful. Thank you!
Just thought I'd report back...no huge success last week when I saw my client but we'll keep practicing! thanks again for your feedback.
1 person likes this.
You may be looking at an anterior oblique sling issue. If she is stronger through the sling (External Obliques, contralateral internal obliques and adductors) on one side than the other she may be getting some trunk rotation or lateral flexion, which would make her roll up uneven. Paying particular attention to the slings will make her movement much smoother, although you may need to focus solely on the weaker sling during assisted oblique work for a little while while she develops the strength. Good Luck!
1 person likes this.
Thanks for your feedback Lisa & also Arlene. I viewed the Madeline Black video and all these bits of information are useful. We are working on patience focus. I think we're getting there! Thanks again!
I teach a group mat class, some of the elder ladies who have not done pilates in a while, if ever are having trouble with the roll up, I modify it for them with bent knees to come up and use the assist of the back of their thighs till they get stronger in their abdominals. One lady who has done pilates before suggested she wants to use her elbows bent on the mat to help her up? Not sure if this is a good idea for the C-curve we want to achieve from the exersize? any suggestions? thank you!
Megan
Hi Megan,
In case you didn't see this higher up in the thread, I made a little video some time ago that offers some suggestions...
Help with the Roll Up
But Lolita San Miguel does something in her class that is just what you describe. The way she does it is really nice. I think it is in this class...
Lolita's Mat class
That link actually is a video about wrist issues...but you can see in the photo where you placed the towel. Thats great. I have a pretty extreme structural lordosis and doing the roll up for me looks actually comical. My pelvis actually bangs on the ground when I roll up...so I'm going to use the towel. Hopefully over time I will become stronger and won't need it. Thanks much!
11-18 of 18

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin