Teaching the bodybuilder

So this is a client I dont have alot of experience with. So suggestions or comments appreciated! Male client, been bodybuilding for sometime for competition. Complaints with low back pain and knee pain. Sounds like uppercross syndrome to me or some sort of misalignments most likely from bad form during lifting. He runs as well so ..we all know how this story goes. Since hes so tight, hip flexors . low back etc.. I wasnt sure if I should start him on reformer, mat or cadillac. I also have a wunda chair. I want to put him thru a series but want to watch his form during. which do u guys reccomend? I appreciate all opinions!
Jamie - With the experience I have training bodybuilders (a little) I find that they find the intricate movements most challenging. They are so used to accessing their large muscles that I recommend challenging their stabilizers and focusing on precision. Stretching is usually challenging for them as well. Focus on upper back strength and proper alignment to alleviate lower back pain.
Good advise Meredith and I will certainly pay attention and try to offer more intricate movement patterns for him and put him thru more stretches.. He seems to just want to load the reformer up all the way and go go go.. The main challenge with him is to get him to understand he doesnt need to powerhouse thru every movement..thanks so much for the needed advise.
I'm a former bodybuilder, and I didn't "get" pilates until I was put on the chair. I remember getting on the Reformer, and thinking it was really fun, and wondered how she expected my legs to get toned with such wimpy weight (footwork) and then she took me to the chair, and had me do footwork on the chair. Guess what? I couldn't do it. That's when I "got it". I say stick him on the chair!
I agree Ann......I worked with a female bodybuilder about 8 years ago. She was amazing, but what really tuned her in to this work was the work on the Wunda Chair. I gave her Hamstring Strech 3/Pull-Up/Pike(depends on which school you're from) and Backward Step Down/Front Lunge.....this gal had such difficulty.....but she "got it". The lightbulbs really went off when she got on the chair....much more so than on the other apparatus. I think becuase it's such a confined space to work in/from. She really had to learn to connect to her body and initiate movment in different planes of grativy.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm that certainly gives me food for thought! Thanks Ann, its nice to hear from someone who has particular insight into this. And Amy your advise is always so valued. I will try the chair next time, see how he does! Thanks guys, will keep you posted.
A body builder AND a runner? And perhaps a need to prove that Pilates is a workout? Time for Hip Work on the Reformer - Leg Circles, Frog, etc. We have several clients who fit this description, and they are always astounded after their first session to discover how much their upper and inner thighs hurt (in a good way) after thinking their legs were in such great shape. Agree with Amy Havens comments about Chair work, with the addition of Leg Press Standing - which tends to be another shocker for this type of client.

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin