Neck and Shoulder Work

Hi Teachers,
I'm not sure this is the right section of the Forums to post a question, but I was wondering if you all could point out classes that are particularly good for loosening the neck and shoulders when they have become really tight. If not classes, then are there particular exercises I should focus on/do more of at the beginning so that I can have a productive class?

Thanks!
Hi Chanda ~ This is the perfect place to pose a question. Thank you!

Rebekah Rotstein was at Pilates Anytime filming a class safe for Osteoporosis. Within it she does some fabulous neck releasing exercises. It will just be a couple of days before we can get it up on the site. She also offers suggestions in the "exercises" section of the site (located on the bottom of each page) on how to properly lift your head to prevent neck tension. We'll get them up on the site asap!
Thanks Kristi! I'm looking forward to checking out the class.

In my particular case, I suffered a broken jaw about 8 years ago, which lead to a lot of difficulties with my teeth and my bite. This has really affected my alignment and required braces which just came off -- it seems that my jaw and neck are having a difficult time adjusting to the new bite (apparently the teeth keep moving for another 4 months after the braces come off). So now, my neck muscles are basically constantly very tense, so I was hoping to do some pilates to help my body adjust etc.

I would love to see a class where a lot of focus is placed on deliberate attention to alignment. I know that in theory all of the classes are supposed to do this, but I am thinking something along the lines of almost spending a lot of time doing Feldenkrais type things. Maybe a "getting to know where things are with your body" class? I think such a thing could be useful to students at all levels.
Thank you Chanda. I think this is a fantastic idea.
Hi there! I've done some work with a client with severe neck & shoulder issues (which came first...?) and I spent quite a bit of time working with him on accessing more of the 'quieter' stabilizers of the neck and shoulders which helped tremendously. Very simple movements that tap into the relationship of the eyes to the deeper neck muscles seem to be very helpful. For example, lying supine with knees bent (not sure if you need any head propping or neck support ie. small towel rolled up to support cervical spine etc...) - simply use your eyes to trace the ceiling to the right and allow your skull to move in response, then use the eyes again to trace to your start position -- it is very subtle and gentle. Do the same to the left, etc..
Focus is more on the release of the grippy neck muscles and as well, you can allow your jaw to release/let go/fill the Temporomandibular joint with air etc.. Use the same approach for your head nod. Try to avoid the trap of doing 'too much' or trying too hard. It takes practice to do less LOL! I also tend to think more about bones than muscles when dealing with areas of the body that are very tight - picture bones and their movement and then observe and sensate the release of the muscles as their response, or even the sensation of more subtler muscles awakening.
*After doing the supine 'exercises' mentioned above, try them in a seated position - then maybe try using the concept while doing an Ab Prep/Chest Lift-- you can curl up to thoracic flexion (first with the eyes leading into your head nod) and try the "eyes tracing from left to right" while in flexion and focusing on staying relaxed, and subtle in your head/neck and shoulder movement/position. As an aside, another interesting possibility as an alternative approach - have you ever had a cranio-sacral therapy session. Best of health to you Chanda. (Gosh, sorry this was such a long post!!!) Would love to hear how you are doing and other things that you have found to be helpful and working for you.

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin