Stott Reformer Set-up

Hi, I recently got an SPX at home and would like some advice on how to properly set the reformer (gear bar/stopper positioning). I've taken classes for over a year, but my studio uses Peak and it feels much more different than I would have thought. I would just play around with it, but don't want to hurt myself.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Heidi~ I teach at a studio that uses Peak and Stott reformers, they are pretty different. The main difference I find is the springs. Stott has 4 full springs and 1 half spring so it can be hard to find the right tension. I have to move the gears often to get the right spring tension because if I keep it in the same gear the whole time, it can be too light for a certain exercise, but just adding a spring can make it too heavy or vice versa. I usually play around on the machine till I find what works for me and my clients. I hope this helps you, let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks Gia. I can see this is going to take more experimentation than I thought! I shortened the ropes and will just have to continue to mess around with the spring load and gear bar. Bummer is it will make my workouts slow until I figure this reformer out. So much easier with an instructor who knows me right there!
Do I need to worry about jamming my knees up because of the carriage stopper position?
Heidi~ I usually keep the gear in the same position that I would on a Peak Reformer for footwork. For myself, I have to play with the springs for arm work since my upper body isn't as strong as my legs. It does make my workout a little slower, but once I know what springs I like or the springs my clients like, I can flow a little more since I remember what I've done for each exercise. If you are worried about your knees, another thing you can play with is the height of the footbar since that can be easily adjusted.
1 person likes this.
What is the gear bar fit for different heights of people on any reformer machine.
Gear bar question on Peak reformer....isn't it based on client's height?  Shorter they are the closer the gear bar is to carriage?

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin