elevated hip

A number of my clients appear to have one hip slightly higher than the other. It seems more prevalent on the right side...almost like during the day we stand lopsided and over time the muscles shorten and we lose symmetry. What are the best exercises and Pilates techniques to improve this postural discrepancy? I have seen instructors use techniques like rolfing, massage, and manually assisted stretches but we all need to work within our practice limits. Thank you for your ideas. LOVE the site!
The foam rollers are a great tool for release work. You can use them to roll out the glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, inner thighs, IT bands, TFL and calves. You can easily place the exercises into a mat class. And because you are supporting yourself with the arms as you roll it's also great strength work for the upper body and core.
1 person likes this.
Thank you so much Annie--you are so right. As I was thinking about a different client yesterday evening who carries a lot of muscle tension I remembered Sue Hitzmann's MELT method using the foam roller in a recent Pilates Style magazine. She has some excellent videos on you tube demonstrating a simple sequence to using the rollers. In addition, as an occupational therapist and personal trainer I have relied on the roller as a great tool for a variety of core training needs and myofascial release, particularly for tight hips. Funny how at the time I was thinking about the elevated hip client I did not immediately clue in to the roller! Thank you for your kind response! Enjoy the weekend.
Tiffany, I'm glad I could help! You have a wonderful weekend as well!
I use seated side stretch on the chair and seated side stretch with twist to get a deep stretch in the QLs
Excellent idea as well Rayann...one of my favorite stretches too. I will emphasize this to my clients as well. Thank you for your kind response!

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin