Psoas tightness

I have a client with extremely tight hip flexors and low back...to the point he can't function well in any flexed position on the mat. I am presently only teaching mat and wondering how to keep him working and strengthening the supportive muscles without aggravating further the overworked ones.

Would love any suggestions as this seems to be a common issue with many highly physical clients.

Thanks
Hi Lisa, I would think it would help to do a bit of modifying, as in maybe using a wedge( if you have one) under the back to help support him in a elevated position during some of the exercises. Sometimes just sitting them up on a small box will work just as well. Also the flex band works very well as a assist with someone so tight. He can do alot of leg and hip work not to mention plenty of stretches using the band in a supine position.My opinion of course but hope it helps!!
Jamie
Thanks for the great input!
Ann S
Hi Lisa, I have lots of clients with extremely tight hip flexors. It's very common especially with athletes. I have found that less is more! Try using a band (supine position) to help support the leg in a raised vertical position as straight as comfortable so that the leg is directly over the hip socket and do slow circles about the size of a dinner plate. Use a term like Floating in Space. This actually works deeper muscles than the big gun hip flexors and relaxes and opens the hips, After you do one leg have your clients compare and describe the difference. It's magic!! Ann
Thanks Ann! Love the "floating in space", can't wait to apply these great ideas!

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin