Choosing a mat workout

I'm relatively new to pilates and when i search your database of classes for a level 2 mat class without any props; quite a few come up for any allotted length of class time. I was wondering what I should know about the different types of pilates (ie:basi) in order to maybe help me choose. Is one practice maybe done more on the floor while the other is more standing etc.? Any tips in choosing a class would be helpful, or maybe I could just do them all!
Thanks so much
Hi Stephanie! I love your enthusiasm ("maybe I could just do them all!"). Within the Pilates community, there are three main styles you'll find; Classical, Contemporary, and Rehabilitation based Pilates. Under the "styles" umbrella are Teacher Training programs (BASI, Romana's Pilates, Power Pilates etc...). Ultimately, it comes down to preference when it comes to deciding which style/teacher is best for you. Since you are just beginning your Pilates practice, I recommend you start at the beginning (go to the beginners center) and try "the basics" or level 1 classes from several different teachers. I can guarantee the instructors on this site are highly trained, competent communicators of this work, so its in your best interest to sample the various teaching styles. To learn more about the difference in training programs go to our FAQ's
Thanks for the advice Kristi. The videos are a great review and really articulate the important parts of the exercises. Awesome

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin