Leg Cramps

I'm new to Pilates, over 50 and getting some leg and foot cramps. What causes this and what should I do when this happens as it's painful.
Hi Sue- I have dealt with foot cramps myself, and known others with foot and leg cramps too. I hope you get input from a number of people, but here's my advice: In my experience and from what I have read, the cramping (both foot and lower leg) likely comes from too much muscular involvement in the lower leg. Pointing the toes too hard will involve too much of the musculature below the knee, and this is undesirable for two reasons.
Physiologically, the muscles are small, and cramp more easily. More importantly, from a bio-mechanical perspective, a too-strong toe point or too much muscle contraction in the feet or calves takes the emphasis away from where it should be, and that is higher up in the leg. Leg activation, whether it be straight or bent, originates by an active "wrapping" of the inner and outer thigh. My favorite cue here is to point your leg, not your toes, feeling like the ball of your big toe is the end of the leg, the toes are relaxed and not curled.
... (continued) In straight or bent leg positions, the emphasis should always be in the pelvis and high in the thighs... the lower leg and foot are along for the ride .
To get this feeling right away, try standing heel raises (relevés). Place feet in "Pilates first" (heels together, feet in a small "V"). Start by standing tall, pulling in the abdominals, lifting the pelvic floor and "wrapping" the upper thighs, pressing the heels together to activate the entire inner leg. As you raise the heels, feel that the heels are "pulled" up from the floor, rather than the feet "pushing" the heels off the floor.
Keep that concept involved in all leg work, and hopefully the cramping will be relieved (and you'll be well on your way to a stronger, more stable form!)
... one more thing, Sue. You didn't mention that cramping has been an issue for you other than when practicing Pilates, so I assume all is well with your potassium and sodium levels and your daily water intake. That said, there is a good deal of anecdotal evidence to show that many people find a cure for cramping by eating a banana, taking potassium supplements, or simply drinking more water. Some stretching of feet and toes (when resting with feet up in the evening, perhaps) can also be helpful. Much may subside with time and practice, too. Best of luck.
Layla, thank you for all the information. But most of the time my leg cramps when doing Pilates bridge work. Sometimes it's the toes and sometimes the back of the thigh. When it happens should I stop and rest or stretch? Oh and yes, I do take minerals and eat bananas.
Hi Sue- Some of this may be the newness of the work and may subside over time. When you come up into bridge, try wiggling your toes a bit to relax the tension and reduce gripping. If the cramps are more than moderate I would gently lower yourself and rest and stretch a bit before readdressing the work. Even in bridge you may find the opportunity to focus your emphasis away from the feet and lower legs and into the abdominals, glutes and inner thighs. Lastly, Lolita San Miguel's footwork class and Madeline Black's workshop (coming soon) here on PA both have excellent foot series to promote strong and healthy foot/leg function.

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin