Diastisis Recti

Hi Everyone! I am newly coming back to my Pilates practice after 2 pregnancies, and I am looking for some advice. During my first pregnancy I developed a diastisis recti in my abdminal muscles, and I am wondering what modifications I should make in my practice to avoid making the separation worse, or if there are any Pilates exercises I should do that could help it. Prior to my pregnancies I was a personal trainer and yoga teacher so I know which movements and actions to avoid in exercise, but I was hoping to get some Pilates specific recommendations. Thanks so much!
Move U
I recommend you take private pilates sessions with a comprehensively trained (600 hour minimum) Pilates teacher.
Move I would love to and have looked into it, unfortunately there aren't any even remotely close to me!
Samantha , there are some wonderful classes on Pilates anytime focusing on this subject ! Very informational and fantastic teacher !
Hello! I hope you found some good info along the way from the last time you posted. In my own journey with my diastasis and in my journey as a teacher with my clients who have one, there are some simple rules that are good to follow. These are the super safe rules that may not be right for your body but these rules help to decrease intra-abdominal pressure so if I have someone who takes my mat class and I don't have any real info about their bodies.... I use these. 
1. for the most part when you are on your back , keep your head down. 
2. avoid planking 
3. avoid criss cross entirely (series of 5 exercise where you are on your back, bringing your hands behind your head and legs in table top, and your bring your opposite elbow to your opposite knee and go back and forth for about 6 or so reps. 
This is not set in stone... and if anyone wants to share anything that goes against this info please do! good luck!
Hi, you may already have learned much more about strategies for diastasis, but here are some points from my journey with it:
1. Activate rectus abdominus (provides linear tension) and transverse abs when using core; go easy with obliques & lateral ribcage breathing. Don't 'widen' the ribcage while using abs, as this can over-activate internal oblique fibres, which exert a lateral pull on the linea alba (LA). Specific self-cueing & minimal ab work in flexion.
2. As mentioned in another comment, avoid oblique movements until the fascia has re-thickened/stabilized, again, due to lateral pull that can strain the LA.
3. Pelvic floor needs to be used in a mobility and strength focused manner, not just contraction. Pelvic floor releases seem to help the fascial slings release tension that may be exacerbating diastasis. Sit (if comfortable!) and breathe on a soft ball to release. See Center for Women's Fitness for more info!

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin