caesarean section

I was asked about the strength of abdominals after the caesarean section. One of my clients is wondering if she is ever going to have as strong abdominal muscles as she used to have before the caesarean section. Would you say a little bit more about exercising after the caesarean section. Thank you
I had a C-section for my third child 25 years ago. I can tell you that my abdominals are far stronger now than they ever were then. As for exercising after.... I say be patient (how long post-op is your client?). This is major surgery, and nothing good will be accomplished by working too much, too soon. Keeping perfect, upright posture while sitting and especially while walking with abdominal engagement is an important step while scar tissue is forming. I would be more interested in starting to strengthen with extension (including supine work with arms extended overhead and ribs contained) for the abdominals, then slowly add more flexion. Others here may have additional thoughts on what has been helpful with various clients. But do assure her that she can have every bite of strength return.
Tank you very much for your respond. It's very helpfull as I don't have much experience with postnatal clients. She is 3 years after C-section.

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin