Explain the Powerhouse ~ Help!

One of our members asked this question. Please provide ideas.

"I have a client who has me a bit perplexed....

She is a former competitive swimmer (over active rectus) and is also hyper flexi.... I try to tell her in a gentle way she is not connected (she gets quite defensive as she insists she is) her pelvis rocks and rolls, she has a strong psoas (pulling her into extension) and is also a rib popper (from years of swimming)... she is solid on the outside and overworks her extremities.... I would love some suggestions on how to explain the powerhouse in a way she can understand.... I have used all the regular cues and I can see she is not connected, but she insists she is... so if there is any suggestions I would greatly appreciate... she is a client who says she can never feel her powerhouse. Thanks in advance".
Sometimes when I see clients not engaging or over using the rectus I will ask them to draw the abdominal in from the very back portion of the abdominal muscle. I encourage them to work closer to the spine and try and access that portion of the muscle. The problem is, sometimes clients don't want to learn, and I'm sure being a competitive swimmer your client feels she knows how to use her body. If they client is not open to learning it's hard to find any cues or descriptions that will help her. Sometimes the battle is getting them to exercise their minds. Good luck.
Kara R
2 people like this.
I would stop trying to explain to her what the powerhouse is since it sounds like it is falling on deaf ears. I would give her exercises that force her to use the powerhouse (without overuse of psoas) and then she will understand.
One simple exercise is client seated on the Pilates Arc with her legs turned into external rotation, or diamond shape (this will not allow as much psoas activation). Then have her roll back into extension and articulate the spine back up to a lengthened position. If her legs cannot stay externally rotated she will have a visual cue of them pulling together which is the psoas trying to help!
Ask the client if she has ever had children. The problem may stem from a condition called "Diastasis Recti" or separation of the rectus abdominus. It is caused by the stretching of tissue that connects the two sides of the muscle causing a split wider than normal. The gap is evident in the post partum client when she lies supine and the loose skin around the belly button will sink into the split. It is usually NOT diagnosed after pregnancy and often confused for out of shape abs.Diastatsis can also happen due to poor abdominal muscle tone, genetics and even THE FITTEST are susceptible. If left unchecked, the integrity of abdominal strength is compromised which may cause low back pain and pelvic instability that your client may be experiencing. Even if she has not had children, over-training or poor body mechanics may still cause Diastasis.There are ways to check it and heal it. For more info: //thecenterforwomensfitness.com/201 0/what-is-diastasis-recti/
1 person likes this.
with this client it would be appropriate to use different props because they give such great feedback. For pelvic awareness try using a stability cushion under the sacrum while they are lying supine, knees bent, and start out doing pelvic tilts or "pelvic clock". As the client goes into a posterior tilt with an exhalation, take some time to explain that imprinted position, and then going thru neutral and into an anterior tilt, etc...
This is an awesome exchange! Thanks for the contributions!

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin