Pilates Prop Buying Guide For Beginners

I want to expand my practice into the classes that use props. I currently own only a mat. Where do I begin? Maybe some instructors could write their suggestions for getting started with props.
Is there a sequence of mastery?
Is a $3,000 prop really useful for non-instructors?
Ted Johnson
Thanks for starting this thread, it will be useful for me as well. I know that the most commonly used prop in our classes is the magic circle.
Nathan first consider what you are trying to accomplish with a prop. I think you will find your use of props more exciting and fruitful if you are using them for a reason rather than just to add variety. There is nothing worse than complicating something with a toy/prop just to use the prop. Rather think of your goal in an exercise and then see if the use of a band or ball or magic circle can facilitate an experience that makes the exercise more meaningful. I'd start experimenting with a band first to see what you discover. A prop that cost $3.00 that isn't used purposefully is just as useless as one that costs $3000.
@Kristi Thanks, that's really helpful. I thought I was missing out on something by not having the props. In an effort to shift focus then, I have difficulty with full teaser, the saw, and climbing the tree among others. I feel like I'm constantly fighting my tight hamstrings.

My goals are general health, better posture, and increased strength to avoid injury at work and in preparation for kite-boarding.
Ted Johnson
Nathan, as someone who also has tight hamstrings I can tell you that a band can be helpful. For example, if you're doing an exercise where you're meant to grab your feet or toes yet can't reach, having a band is nice.
Tight hamstrings are an issue for a lot of us. Rather than fight them, I suggest you modify the exercises you mentioned by simply bending your knees. In fact doing so won't change the objective of the exercise and may even help you feel the work more deeply. In addition to that, spend more time stretching your hamstrings. Do this when you are warmed up a bit, or you can take one of the classes that focus on stretching. You are sure to get a hamstring stretch in most of these classes. I'll be curious to hear how it goes.
Thanks Kristi! I'm going to work on it. I was pushing myself really hard and getting upset when I wasn't improving. Better to focus on my personal challenges than doing the exercise perfectly now.
The selection of classes focused on stretching is a little weak. How about a 50min stretching class. It could even be a lecture that discusses different problem areas.
Agreed Nathan! I think we should have a more detailed stretch class. Thank you for the suggestion.
Kristi, is there material on Pilates Anytime that introduces each prop? Could you point me to another resource online?
After playing with a few different props I have realized two things: 1) It's so nice to add some variety to my workout! I had been getting frustrated with the same challenges every day and taking classes with props can help break up the repetition and monotony. 2) I bought the wrong size ball. Looks like most of your classes use a 50cm fitness ball. Correct?
1-10 of 12

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin