Pilates, Strength and Cardio

A lot of my clients are very concrete. Much like Pilates they want precise, direct, clear instructions...not just with the exercises but with all of life! One questions I often hear is, "how much Pilates should I do and where does it fit in within the recommendations for strength and cardio." If cardio is recommended 5 days a week and strength training 3 days can Pilates replace a day of strength training? I consider it an adjunct to all of life and a method that can be practiced every day time permitting. It helps with cardio by improving breath and alignment and it helps with strength as a model of core conditioning. Any other answers for the client who needs a specific plan of attack and doesn't want to spend their life exercising? Thanks!
Thank you! It does become confusing when trying to figure out how to incorporate pilates into your regular cardio and strength training regimen.
ALWAYS CONSULT A PHYSICIAN BEFORE BEGINNING ANY NEW EXERCISE PROGRAM (there.... I said it). Tiffany, I am in the camp that enduring cardio can be counterproductive. I am now strongly in favor of interval training. It is both time efficient and metabolically stimulating, as well as physiologically activating at a cellular level.
Do internet searches on "Peak 8", "Tabata Protocol", or "P.A.C.E." to get a sense of short, high intensity intervals, alternating with short rest periods. These are all doable in nearly any mode you care to apply them to; running, cycling, floor exercises. The secret is HIGH intensity (max) for anywhere from 20-60 seconds.
This saves LOTS of time when applied to a week's workouts.
Thank you Layla. Great ideas---I too love the research supporting HIGH intensity intervals--it definitely works the body differently and like you said, efficiently. I will share the research with my clients. I believe it was a recent Pilates Style that also high-lighted the HITT method. Thank you again for your insight!

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin