Should I Wear a Mask During a Pilates Session?  (Blog)

Should I Wear a Mask During a Pilates Session? (Blog)

Read This Article
Tara J
12 people like this.
While this article is informative, I was hoping to hear what other studio owners are doing, and honestly feel that I will not  be opening anytime soon.  There is nothing new regarding the information here,  and I have given this a lot of thought. I do not expect my beloved clients to wear masks while exercising.  I do not want to wear one either. So, we will not be opening up until we can be in a room without the restriction. I may do private sessions, but group classes are not possible in the near future. My studio is too small.  It breaks my heart, to have to potentially end this 20 year career,  but I do not see a way out of being able to do any indoor fitness endeavor.  I am currently teaching Zoom classes, but expect the novelty of that to wear off at some point. California is spiking in cases after only being partially reopened for less than two weeks.  I hope I am incorrect, but if there are  more  illnesses, and mortalities,  we will be shut down again.  I am a registered nurse, and know all too well how awful it is to wear a mask all day. I  know how miserable it would be to try to exercise in one.   I do not think my clients would want to do it, and I don’t blame them.  It is important to keep your studio clean, but the biggest problem is people breathing and respiratory droplets.  THat is a problem,  way too difficult to control in a small indoor setting. 
12 people like this.
I very much like Alison's words that "wearing a mask is a gracious and generous practice that protects others in the community".   Well said!
I don't think wearing a mask is such a heavy burden that we can't do it in order to stay healthy till there's a vaccine.  While I haven't worn a mask to exercise so far (still at home), I have previously worn one all day for months to do the sweaty,  back-breaking work of sorting & cleaning out 90 years' household accumulation after my parents died, & I did not perish from the experience.  
I'm always amazed at the ignorant, self-absorbed thinking of humans.  Do people not realize this pandemic is simply Mother Nature's push-back against the stupidity of our thoughtless, self-centered agendas?  Permanent lifestyle changes are mandatory or we will face one pandemic after another.  Be smart enough to recognize the message & strong enough to rise to the challenge to change.
rebecca greier horton
wearing a cloth face covering is an act of compassion and yes, a sacrifice. no one enjoys wearing a face covering. i don't but i faithfully wear one as an instructor and student.  if wearing a face covering in class is optional the risk of exposure is heightened for everyone present--remember the face covering helps keep droplets contained. it's not protection against airborne droplets or aerosols emanating from those who "opt out" of cloth face coverings. cloth masks are spurring a deeper conversation-how deeply do i care about those around me?
Rebecca Greier Horton, WELL AP 
Workplace Well-being Director-Herman Miller
Pilates Instructor-Student 
Citiz en
Mom 

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin