Work with Abundant Bodies<br>Madeline Black<br>Workshop 2337

Work with Abundant Bodies
Madeline Black
Workshop 2337

Watch this Workshop
Madeline Black
Hi Eric nice suggestion, yes I have used the belt and slings with the springs. The ffect I was cerating was to assist in a decompression, a lift of the thorax so that the client will move from the lumbars and it helps in feeling the engagement of the abdominals. A belt tied does not give this effect.
Allison S
4 people like this.
Madeline Black  you made references to food that made this workshop difficult to watch, especially the fried chicken and french fries comment which just reinforces harmful stereotypes about abundant/larger/fat bodies and yet you state that that giving nutrition advice is outside of our scope of practice so why did you even bring up dietary choices? 

Madeline Black
Hi Allison, Thank you for your question. Since I taught this five years ago, it was an opportunity to revisit the video. The reference of food was to illustrate a social situation such as a family meal choice as a favorite or tradition that may not support the person’s relationship to food. I work with people not only in the physical training, but including the other aspects of health. It is not our scope to be a nutritionist. We can guide people toward healthy eating and refer them. I am sorry you focused on the food part, and had a difficult time. There is other information offered that I hope you found useful. 
Anna B
1 person likes this.
Madeline, thank you so much for this incredibly informative and practical workshop. I couldn't stop taking notes with all the valuable information you shared. Your comments around compassion and integrity were spot on and your suggestion to take a structure-based approach resonated deeply with me. Thank you and Pilates Anytime for providing such quality content.
1 person likes this.
This was interesting I love the variation of the bridge with the foot on the box - Great cues 
thank you for an informational workshop. I have a group of four that are new to pilates. One lovely attendee has an abundant body and just as you said holding her legs up at all is difficult. My question- is your advice the same for a group lesson? She comes with a friend who is able to do more...so far the the other two have come and gone but the class always has four.
Madeline Black
Suzanne, yes, you can empower your client with creating an environment for them to be successful in the movements in a group of four people. Be mindful that you are not singling he/her out from the other classmates. Have everyone do the same movement with the adaptation to improve their exercise.
21-27 of 27

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin