Osteoporosis Guidelines<br>Sherri Betz<br>Introduction 2352

Osteoporosis Guidelines
Sherri Betz
Introduction 2352

Watch this Program Introduction
Please clarify whether with "osteopenia" level of bone density, that loading such as jogging would be advised. ACSM research has recommended such back in 2004. Have guidelines changed? Would Reformer Jump Platform work be less of an impact and safe for osteoporosis due to the supine posture? Thank you for keeping the Pilates community informed. I appreciate your knowledge.
Sherri Betz
1 person likes this.
Hi Kathleen,
Great question! The current expert opinon recommendation for safe jogging is greater than a -3.0 Tscore. This is highly dependent upon previous history of fracture, height loss, kyphotic posture, rib to pelvis distance, core control, body awareness and proper running technique. I take many things into consideration before I recommend running in someone with either osteoporosis or osteopenia.
Sherri Betz
As for Reformer Jumping, there is no research on this regarding fractures or effect on bone density. There would be less impact on the spine with the supine position and I think that Reformer jumping is a great preparation for dynamic activities in standing/vertical position. Guidelines are changing rapidly. The APTA Bone Health Special Interest Group is working on a Clinical Practice Guideline document that will summarize all known research and provide a new set of guidelines for osteoporosis. You can also find a good bit of information on questions such as these at https://therapilates.wordpress.com/ and at www.therapilates.com.
While this is informative and helpful, the whole notion of the dexa scan was not even discussed, specifically that these bone scans are a group of women in their mid 20's and is not a control group. There is no background on the gene pool of this group, etc. anyone beyond their 40's is not going to fare well taking these scans. tnis is information that people need to delve more into before being "diagnosed" with a "condition".
Jamie H
1 person likes this.
This is an interesting and informative video. Its so crucial that a walking program, balance program, muscle strengthening program, and back strengthening program be implemented on a regular basis.
Joyce Dev
1 person likes this.
Thank you as always for providing educational videos such as this. Most of my clients are 40 plus and want to keep doing flexion exercises despite having a diagnosis of osteopenia and osteoporosis. This demographic of our clientele need education and reminding of the latest bone health research. Please keep bringing this vital information to the Pilates community.
1 person likes this.
I have osteopenia. Is plank and fore-arm plank safe?
Sherri Betz
1 person likes this.
Hi Theresa,
Yes, plank and forearm plank are safe.
Sherri
2 people like this.
Can you give an example of "forceful forward flexion"? And more specifically I want to know if any exercise where your head lifts off the ground is unsafe for someone with osteoporosis? I believe so, but just checking. Thanks for great info!
thanks great video
1-10 of 16

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin