John Steel<br>John Steel<br>Discussion 2503

John Steel
John Steel
Discussion 2503

Watch this Discussion
1 person likes this.
John, Kristi, Arlene: I have gone back to a couple of interviews and "coffee time with Jay" to try and get correct chronological order of events. Jay grimes states he worked in Joe's studio on 8th street to when it moved to 56th street. During that time he took lessons on and off with Joe while he was still in his dancing career. Joe would ask Jay to help clients, which eventually turned into his being trained in the method. He worked with Jonathan Winters and Hannah.Jay also states there was a period when Romana came into the studio and was taking copious notes from Joe, whom he felt could see that he needed to pass this work onto, however Romana had such bad hand writing, no body can really read them. Jay also states that when it came time for Clara to be moved to a new place, he was involved in helping her move, and that she had terrible arthritis and eye sight.
Also, any client who and a specific injury for Joe to work with, was sit out behind a little curtain that could be pulled across so as not to distract others on the gym. Jay says Joe did not want the atmosphere in the gym to be brought down. Once a person was ready they were out on the floor with everyone else.
Sorry typo above should read "was put". Also these interviews and question periods, are available for anyone to watch. They can be quite lengthy but will answer lots of other questions pertaining to the method itself.
Finally I just want to clarify that I am not being negative. Just trying to create a clear time line of events. As you say Krisit, Jay Grimes was asked to come and be a part of this legacy project but and declined. Perhaps John and Jay can meet privately and piece together their timelines. Time is ticking and it's important that we gather this information before people are gone for good.
Arlene: I have only been fortunate enough to go to vintage pilates once and take a private with Andrea Maida, who was awesome. It's a fantastic studio. Jay is a great teacher, no doubt about it. Perhaps Sandy or Karen might be able to shed some light on some facts.
Thank you Lynn!
1 person likes this.
Thank you Lynn for illustrating the Coffee With Jay interviews. I viewed them too but that was a while ago, there are at least 5 of them. I think I'll go back and re-watch them, I do not recollect the part about helping Clara move.
2 people like this.
Hi Arlene: there is also a "high tea" win Jay interview when he was in Britain for a workshop/conference. Jay really articulates so well the time period at which he was with Joe and the culture of the day, so that we can try to understand why things were done so differently. A great watch for any Pilates enthusiast.
2 people like this.
This conversation is incredible! I so appreciate being part of a community where these kinds of details are this relevant to us and our knowledge of the work. I wonder what time of day John was in the studio...? Perhaps he and Jay were on different time schedules? Maybe one came in the morning, one was there later in the day....maybe they never crossed paths but were both indeed participating with Joe --- but at different times of day? Merely a thought to ponder.......
1 person likes this.
Wow, fascinating, thank you PA. I already want to watch it again.
31-40 of 48

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin