Pre and Postnatal Pilates<br>Leah Stewart<br>Workshop 794

Pre and Postnatal Pilates
Leah Stewart
Workshop 794

Watch this Workshop
1 person likes this.
I just wanted to say a huge big thank you for your wonderful workshop, you cleared up so many questions and concerns I had.
I loved the practical session at the end with so many interesting ideas to modify! And when your son Turner came out, he is so adorable!!
I've been waiting to do a workshop like this for so long. Thank you, thank you, thank you Leah and PA!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Marita! We also loved it when Turner and Jason first walked across the window (something we usually try to avoid) and later when Turner came running into class. We felt it was the perfect way to A) prove the backdrop was real and B). Help Leah demonstrate all that she talks about in this great workshop.
Marita - thank you for the wonderful comment! It is so important to me that the workshop helped to clear up your questions and concerns, as that was my main goal in presenting it.

It was fun to have Turner and Jason pop by at the end, they are the two most important people in my life! I just love those two

If i buy this workshop, Do I have unlimeted views?
Or it is time/views limited?

Thanks.
Paula.
Paula~ Once you've purchased this workshop, you will have unlimited access to it (as with any of our workshops) and you can watch it as many times as you want and need to. Even if you cancel your membership at some time in the future, because you've purchased this workshop, you can still come back to Pilates Anytime and watch it. Please email contact@pilatesanytime.com if you have any further questions.
Leah,
I have only worked with pregnant clients who have been practicing Pilates prior to pregnancy. I have thought about offering a Prenatal class at my studio, but I am not sure it is safe for women who have not done Pilates before their pregnancy. What are your thoughts?
Shoshana
1 person likes this.
Hi Shoshana,

First, my apologies for taking a few days to get back to you.

Yours is a very good question, and honestly one that leads to a lot of debate. Yes, many professionals have said that a pregnant woman should not start a new exercise regimen that they are not familiar with. This recommendation is honestly meant to protect pregnant women and fitness professionals from participating in any extreme movement modalities that may put mother and baby at risk. In other words, some women when they become pregnant worry about not being healthy or losing their figure, and they feel that they need to "get in shape". The truth is, pregnancy is not a time to "get in shape" rather it is a time to maintain health and prepare for labor and birth.

On the other hand, Pilates is a very gentle and safe movement modality that is quite safe for pregnant women to employ, even those that are new to it.

continue in next post...
continued....

Like with any new client, a teacher would start from the beginning and with a pregnant client, even make more modifications and considerations depending on where they are in their pregnancy.

The mind set for a pregnant woman doing Pilates should focus on, again, preparing for labor, keeping the discomforts of a changing pregnancy body at bay, breathing and relaxation techniques and proper strengthening, opening of the musculature required during labor, gaining confidence in their body, and putting themselves in the advantageous position for a healthy recovery postpartum.

I feel that with smart, knowledgeable prenatal programming, a pregnant woman that is new to Pilates can participate in prenatal Pilates classes.

continued in next post....
continued....

As the professional, you must keep the doors of communication very open between yourself and that new client. If there are any signs of distress, stop immediately. It is also very important that the woman communicates her desire to participate in Pilates classes with her doctor or midwife and that she gets the okay from them before beginning, especially if she was fairly inactive before her pregnancy. You may also want to get in touch with her doctor or midwife, since you as her Pilates teacher will be apart of her prenatal care.

Pilates is a powerful prenatal and labor tool, so to deny women of its helpfulness is unnecessary, unless of course, there is a medical reason for them to not participate.

I hope that this helped a bit!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm always here and always happy to help!

Leah

Thank you for that wonderful workshop. I will continue to watch it many times. I really learned alot. Ive had 4 kids and now my kids are having kids. My daughter in law is one of my clients and she is also 14 weeks pregnant. She has been doing Pilates w/me for 2 years. But this is a wonderful opportunity for me to learn about this aspect of Pilates. Thank you Leah.....I did have a question about my daughter in law, Amy, getting overheated while moving through a Pilates class. Should I try to keep things cooler than normal? She's due in July and we live in the desert. Im concerned about her getting too hot. Any thoughts on this?
11-20 of 87

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin