Pre and Postnatal Pilates<br>Leah Stewart<br>Workshop 794

Pre and Postnatal Pilates
Leah Stewart
Workshop 794

Watch this Workshop
continued...

That's not to say that a woman with a diastasis recti in the 3rd trimester will always move with out control or integrity. I hope that makes sense.

On the other hand, in my opinion according to my experience, performing the traditional diastasis recti test (lying supine and raising the head whilst checking the width of the gap in the center of the torso) is not necessary or advantageous during pregnancy and is better used during the postpartum period.

continued in next post....
continued....

Remember that a widening of the linea alba is natural and normal during pregnancy, it's how the body adapts to the growing uterus. It's the degree or severity of the widening that becomes a concern and how it is able to narrow after birth.

Please let me know if you need me to go into any further detail or if you have any additional questions.

Thanks contacting me

Thank for this great workshop, i love it! I am a pilates instructor and also i am pregnant right now.
I would love if you can give more full clases into the reformer at pilatesanytime. thanks a lot!
Paula,

I'm so happy that you enjoyed the workshop Recently, I have filmed two more pre-natal Reformer classes for PA and they should be up soon. I'll also being filming one more Reformer class is a week or so
Hi Leah... I have a couple questions:
1. I've read in textbooks that exercises which involve lifting the pelvis above the level of the heart, should be avoided (Eg: bridging) as it may introduce an air embolus into the uterus which will affect the baby. I haven't been able to find any studies supporting this statement. I would love your opinion on whether this exercise is safe or not. And if safe, at which trimester?
2. The supine position should be avoided after 4 mths of pregnancy. I've heard that right side lying is also one of the positions to be avoided due to the same reason (compression of the IVC). Haven't read this anywhere though. Is this correct?
Chithrah,

Your questions are great, and this particular workshop had a different focus than did not include these two topics.

Yes, you are correct, there is concern and of course differing opinions on inversions during pregnancy, and non-extent or weak research on the topic. I did write a blog post about it in respond to a readers questions, you can read it here if you'd like: //www.pilatesfornewmothers.com/2013 /04/practicing-inversions-during-pr egnancy-safe-or-not/

continued in next comment....
continued from last comment....

The answer to your second question is yes and no. What I mean is, yes, supine positions are generally considered a no-no after 20 weeks or so due to the weight of the uterus and baby compressing the inferior vena cava. However, the concern is really when it comes to extended periods of lying supine not necessarily a minute here or there to do a simple exercise. I will say however that late into pregnancy getting down into a unsupported, flat supine position is uncomfortable and annoying for any pregnancy woman This one great reason we omit supine positions, too. But, an assisted supine position (head and chest lifted with pillows, cushions, etc) can feel pretty good, of course, each woman is different.

Continued....
continued....

I will generally practice and teach short periods of supine positions (supported and sometime unsupported) later into pregnancy according to the needs of the client. The benefits of a nice pelvic rocking exercise supine or chest opening exercise, if the woman feels good in the position, are wonderful. It is believed and said that the woman will feel the effects, shortness of breath, dizziness, etc. long before baby does.

As for lying on the right side, the same goes, we can enjoy side-lying exercises because we are only in the position for such a short amount of time. The benefits of engaging in these exercises is too much to omit in a woman with a healthy pregnancy.

continued...
continued...

Going back to inversions, I believe that some inversions, modified Up Stretch-type positions and some bridging (although late into pregnancy getting into these positions may not be highest on the comfort level for a client) can be performed late into pregnancy without adverse effects and with great benefits. My recent classes will give many great examples of these safe exercises.

You are correct in saying that research is void or very weak, denying us of definitive answers.

Healthy women can move healthfully and fully during pregnancy. We need not deny them movement, we need to may smart, safe and creative modifications so that pregnant women can too enjoy the experience of full body movement.

continued...
continued...

Lastly, I always say, if you as a professional or if a client does not feel comfortable or right in a certain position, do not do it!!! There are plenty of ways to modify. If a supine pelvic rock doesn't feel good or right for a client, perform it in a seated position and receive many benefits. Listen to your body and listen to your client.

I hope this helps a bit.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Leah
41-50 of 87

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin