Core Stability Mat<br>Karen Clippinger<br>Class 3524

Core Stability Mat
Karen Clippinger
Class 3524

Watch this Class
Wow! What an amazing class. So many new ideas! Thank you Karen!
Michelle Stanley-Morgan
Really enjoyable and useful, loved it!
One question, is there a video where I can see the ‘feet’ work with the band in more detail, I couldn’t quite see the detail of what was happening to the little toes. Thanks so much! 🙏🙏
2 people like this.
Lovely class, lots of creative variations! I do agree with the earlier comments that the black socks and blue bands made it hard to see the foot movements - I'd love to understand those better.
Karen Clippinger
Laurie and Ann: So sorry you are having trouble viewing the video. Please do work with Pilates Anytime to figure out the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot help with this.
Karen Clippinger
Joni, Michelle and Rachel: Thank you for your wonderful comments and useful feedback regarding the foot exercises. We will definitely work to achieve clarity in future videos. I do have a textbook Dance Anatomy and Kinesiology that has these exercises pictured and described in detail. You can get used copies of the first edition (2nd edition is now out) quite inexpensively on Amazon.com and other sites. I will also make some comments here, but I do think you will find the pictures in the book very helpful.

For the first foot exercise, Sitting Little Toes Away, the band is around the ends of the feet and you separate the legs so that there is tension on the band. From here bring the little toes away from each other (forefoot abduction) and lift the outer border of the foot (foot eversion) while still keeping the feet pointed. Then, control the return back to the starting position.
Karen Clippinger
For the second foot exercise, Sitting Big Toes Away, the legs are crossed with the band around the ends of the feet and you separate the feet so that there is tension on the band. From here bring the big toes away from each other and lift the inner borders of the feet (foot inversion) while still keeping the feet pointed. Then, control the return back to the starting position. For both exercises one and two it is very important that the motion is isolated to the ankle-foot and that the thighs stay stationary with the knees pointing up towards the ceiling.
Karen Clippinger
For the third foot exercise, Sitting Foot Flex, you again need to start with tension on the band by drawing the top leg towards your chest while keeping the heel lifted. From here, focus on bringing the toes and then the top of the foot back towards the shin (toe extension and ankle dorsiflexion), trying to keep a neutral position where the foot is neither "rolling-in" or "rolling out." Slowly control the return to the starting position, stopping before the band slides off.

I hope this helps, and thanks for the feedback.
Karen Clippinger
Heidi: So fun to hear from you. Thank you for your kind comments and sending you my best wishes.
Karen Clippinger
Sherry and Nancy: Thank you for your appreciative comments and so glad you liked it. I really feel that developing proprioception and strength in multiple planes is so valuable for core stability and balance.
Thank you for the very specific instructions for the foot movements. Happy to have the written version for reference!
11-20 of 39

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin