Beginner Series #1<br>Niedra Gabriel<br>Class 422

Beginner Series #1
Niedra Gabriel
Class 422

Watch this Class
Caroline I'm sorry the video stuck for you, but the the video does have a timeline in it. If it ever sticks again (check how many programs you have open and make sure to turn off your computer regularly), note the time by running your mouse over the video player and you should see the scroll bar for time so you'll know where to come back in. Incidentally, one of the three people in this class is a newer instructor. The other two are beginners, one is in class for her first time and the other had taken 6 beginning classes a couple of years ago. In the rest of the series, three more will join this series all doing Pilates for the first time. It is actually amazing to watch their progress over 10 classes. I'll let Niedra respond to the question of imprinting.
Thanks for the reply. The students are amazing. Perhaps I am too cautious with my clients, but I have some who are still struggling with the basics after months. The imprinting answer will really help. I think if I allowed them to have a flat back it would be much easier for them, but my teachers don't advocate this approach.
I think caution is good, but I also think we are working with dynamic bodies and with that we must be willing to adapt the position of an exercise to suit the person, if only for the time being. The question I always ask myself when I work outside the "rules" I learned is, "Am I moving closer to my goal for this person/exercise or further away?" If I am taking steps that are getting me closer to achieving the objective of an exercise safely, then I say, "What rules?" But that's just my perspective, I'll be watching for Niedra's response too.
Niedra Gabriel
Hi all, Thank you for your feedback and I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the classes. by the way - most of the people in class are "real" beginners - that was the whole point - not to use professional amateurs.... well, actually I may be wrong about this as they have been taking class once a week since January or Feb so perhaps they are no longer real beginners - but the whole beginner series filming was intended to help new comers take their first classes and learn along with other beginners. so maybe they are no longer beginners... I told the group they did not look beginner enough and they took it as a real compliment.
Niedra Gabriel
Another thought about imprinting - I know various schools recommend different appraches, and there is truth in all of them. I have experimented with various appraches and have found it easiest to recommend lengthening and flattening the spine on the mat as a atarting place beginners can apply easily. I don't say this is the only way to do something or get a point across. For myself I like to work this way and then as the clinet progresses I may adjust the alignemt to a more detailed structure dependiing on what I consider they need to move to the next level. I am careful not to get too rigid about alignment, there is seldom great harm in moving one way versus another way - I keep in mind that I want my client to progress, to learn new ways to move and to gain confidence in their bodies. I know that the human body is capable of many shapes, many ways to process alignment and many ways that can be considered 'correct" I keep all of this in mind when I teach.
Niedra Gabriel
To fully answer the quesion "yes I am imprinting the spine". My training actually recommended this way. I hope this sheds some light on this?
Just completed this class and loved it. love the pace. looking forward to the other series.
Niedra Gabriel
Thank you for posting this Sonny, glad you enjoyed the first class - it will keep progressing in intensity and detail as you move ahead, which was my plan.
Thank you so much. I love this class and look forward to doing it again!
Just joined and this was the first class I tried. A good introduction to Pilates for me (coming from someone who took a class once before and found it torturous). This was enjoyable!
11-20 of 109

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin