Back to the Mat<br>Niedra Gabriel<br>Class 870

Back to the Mat
Niedra Gabriel
Class 870

Watch this Class
1 person likes this.
Niedra, you express so much empathy for what your students are feeling through your verbal cues. My lower spine is relieved, after having been overly challenged recently. Thank you, you are one of my favorite instructors. Kathy S.
Niedra Gabriel
Thank you Kathleen, I really do empathize with the journey of working out and the feelings we all go through in the process of working through difficult to manage body parts, and coordination - it is sooooo vital to actually let yourself have this journey. Glad your lower spine is relaxing - this is " good for the soul".
1 person likes this.
Lovely basic session - think it's more level one as evident in quite a few exercise breakdowns, ie. roll-ups, saw, Open leg rocker, neck pull prep, teaser prep, etc. ....was hoping for more use of the theraband. Thank you
1 person likes this.
Lovely slower paced class with wonderful stretching between exercises. Was hoping for more use with the band and a higher level as it was a 2.
Katie B
1 person likes this.
This is a lovely basic class, but absolutely not level 2, as labeled. Disappointed.
1 person likes this.
Hi Niedra Gabriel, I love your classes so much, but lately I've developed a problem with the rolling like a ball exercises. I have some extra bone spurs in my lumbar spine that make it difficult to roll back properly (I end up tilting to one side), and I can only do a few full rolls before the area hurts. I have been treated and am cleared for any type of exercise, as long as it doesn't provoke the area. Can you suggest any alternatives I could do while these exercises are going on? Thank you in advance for your help!
Niedra Gabriel
Michelle C   Without really seeing your body, this is a bit "generic" but I hope it will help.  First, a  question, do you roll to one side due to your lumbar spine? or tail bone sacrum? just curious.

I would suggest being on your back with the knees pulled into your chest and your head curled up ( Rolling like a ball shape) but making sure you have no pain! Then rocking gently, micro rocking really, to gently shift weight up and down with your tail slightly curled up and your shoulders off the floor. This means you stay on your back, you don't roll on and off your spine.   
Niedra Gabriel
Michelle C If you are also challenged with roll ups and other rolling movements that open your lumbar spine, again, without seeing you, I would pile up pillows so you are well supported and perhaps do a few roll ups.  Most important is that you are coming up from you r front body, abs, not your back muscles.     Or simply skip these.... Hope this helps. 
1 person likes this.
Thanks, Niedra Gabriel ! I asked my doctor husband and he says it's my coccyx that's pretty bony and prominent. It didn't used to be that way premenopause-I used to be able to do the rolling pretty easily. I'll try your suggestions. Thank you so much again!
Niedra Gabriel
Michelle C I thought as much! if it is your coccyx, you need to set up either two small pads or folded towels, so when you lie down your coccyx is in the middle ( floating in space) but the spine on either side is supported.    You could probably roll up and do rolling like a ball ( if your spine is flexible) as now you won't be grinding  your little tail into the ground.   This often solves this problem for people with your condition . This should solve ball, roll up, teaser and even open leg rocker - if you rock straight on the padding.   Let me know if this helps.
1-10 of 11

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin