Hip Flexor Release Tutorial<br>Anthony Lett<br>Tutorial 1314

Hip Flexor Release Tutorial
Anthony Lett
Tutorial 1314

Watch this Tutorial
1 person likes this.
Good question Lital. Lifting the knee without lifting the hips takes the femur into a little more extension. That's why it feels stronger.
Karin H
Hi Anthony, do you think these mat stretches are okay for someone with one anterior hip replacement(no contraindications, cleared by Orthopedic doctor on recent 5 year check up.) Thank you in advance. I love these stretches.
1 person likes this.
Hi Karin, Glad you are enjoying the material. I think these stretches would be suitable 5 years on, but if in doubt check with a therapist :)
Marguerite
Loved this. Just a question, which stretches will isolate the adductor brevis, Magnus and pectineus. I do feel these stretches all over my hip flexors thus I’m sure it’s working the whole package. But butterfly stretch, or deep pliée sit are the only exercises that I feel the stretch on those deep adductors. Would that then be it?
Marguerite
* I would do a butterfly sit stretch with pelvis towards an anterior tilt. Or a pliée (standing) with a posterior tilt and at the same time try to actively rotate the femur bone externally. If that makes sense? Would you say that would do it?
Hi Marguerite, Im glad you enjoyed the material. The stretches you mention will stretch all of your adductors except adductor Magnus. It has two heads. If I have room, I will paste some information about it below from my book. To stretch the posterior head you need to perform strong hip flexion with your knee bent. Upto 12-140 degrees of hip flexion. (The anterior head of the adductor magnus has two sets of fibers: horizontal and
oblique. The small set of horizontally directed fibers crosses from the inferior pubic ramus to
the proximal end of the linea aspera and is often called the adductor minimus.
The larger obliquely directed fibers run from the ischial ramus to nearly the entire length of
the linea aspera, as far distally as the medial supracondylar line.
Note the image of addcutor magnus on both legs. By way of contrast, the posterior fibers arise
from the iscial tuberosity and run more verticaly. As a result they function as hip extensors.
Marguerite
That was very helpful. Thank you Anthony! So, I’m other words the posterior head one can stretch with things like four figure stretch and pigeon stretch etc, correct? And the anterior head, since it encompasses quite a large region of the linea aspera, would you say the stretches on your video will help but also combining butterfly stretches etc for adductor minimus? And do the wide V sit stretches perhaps?
Marguerite
Sorry for all the questions, just curious to know something else; if tight hip flexors will pull ones posture into a lordotic position, What then happens to the hip flexors if someone is flat back or sway back. Would those hip flexors be weak but not tight? I always just think a tight muscle is a weak muscle but not sure of that theory.
Liya O
1 person likes this.
Hi Anthony, thank you for this video. Very understandably. Can we do this stretch daily ?
Liya, I wouldn't do it daily. Like any stress to the body, you need to allow time for recovery and repair. Every two or three days is better.
61-70 of 77

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin