Mat on the Spine Corrector<br>Pat Guyton<br>Class 519

Mat on the Spine Corrector
Pat Guyton
Class 519

Watch this Class
Thank you, Andrea! It is great to see how the network of Pilates is strong and vibrant. Tomi Kay is great.
Hi Anita, Thank you for the cheers! It is so much fun at PMA because we get to meet friends that are not just web but real faces.
Pat, love your Spine Corrector Workout. I remember my first Spine Corrector class with you in Singapore about a decade ago. You inspired me then and you inspire me even more now. Thank you for the gift...your joy of movement.
1 person likes this.
Marybeth, Thank you for your kind note. Good sharing lasts forever. We are fortunate that we can still share the teacher/student relationship from Singapore to USA thanks to PA.
Susan B
I don't own a Spine Corrector... yet ...... but I loved watching your class.

Are those the Balanced Body Contour Step Barrels that you are using?

I've been looking at the Spine Correctors on the Balanced Body website and the Peak Pilates website. The Balanced Body Contour Step Barrel - with it's greater length and elongated arch looks ... to my amateur eye.... to be much more comfortable for the average person than any of the other Spine Correctors that I have seen on the Internet. Of course, it's also very expensive... sigh..... Thoughts?? I was going to buy a traditional small/half barrel, but the spine correctors look more versatile.....
Susan B
oops.... I just noticed that your Spine Corrector is not the Contour. It look more like the Clara Step Barrel. But the first student on the right appears to be working on the Contour Step Barrel.......
Hello Susan,
I was introduced to the Spine Corrector by Ron Fletcher. He credited Clara Pilates for teaching him. When I bought my first Spine Corrector, it was called the "West Coast" Spine Corrector and it had handles on the sides. Ron decided that the handles were not necessary because he did not teach his work with the hands on the handles. So Ken Endelman created one without the handles, the nice cuts in the arc. Ron and I were discussing if this version and I told him to name it the Clara Barrel to honor his teacher. And so it was named.

I have taught this work on many Spine Correctors. I go to many studios and the work can be adapted to fit all of the designs. I have use the Balanced Body Contour and it works great. I have used the Peak arc and the small arcs. Basically, the teacher must understand the purpose of the exercise and place the student in the correct position. All the spines we are "correcting" come in different lengths.

Good luck
Susan B
Hello Pat, You named the Clara Barrel well !!! I am a Pilates enthusiast looking to buy a piece of equipment to use at home to supplement the 2 mat classes that I take every week at my excellent local Pilates studio where the instructors are extremely good. In one of the mat classes, our instructor has sometimes used the small barrel and I love using it. That is what got me looking at small barrels/arcs and spine correctors to purchase for home use. Based on cost and space issues, I think I will get a small barrel.
A newbie with the spine corrector and this class SO helpful to learn proper alignment, position and getting deep. Thank you - I (and my back) feels amazing!
Lorie H
I can breathe better w all that rib work.
41-50 of 52

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin