Neurological Disorders<br>Mari Winsor<br>Discussion 2056

Neurological Disorders
Mari Winsor
Discussion 2056

Watch this Discussion
Thank you Mari, for sharing your very personal and professional experience. The beginnings of my Pilates practice and career came via your VHS set, then I remember trading a roommate something to upgrade to the DVDs Grateful to be learning from and inspired by you!
I so appreciate your clear explanation and powerful understanding. Thanks Mari!
Jodi H
1 person likes this.
Thank you for allowing us all to learn from you on this journey. I have much respect and admiration for you.
2 people like this.
Thank you so much! I teach several people with neurological disorders (including my husband who has Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy) and it is nice to know that I am working them the right way by concentrating not on "muscle building" but on core coordination, etc. You are an amazing and inspirational instructor.
1 person likes this.
Thank you. Your attitude and your example are powerful contributions to this site. Especially appreciate your sensitivity to Pilates being far more than range of motion or strength!
Thank you! You are an inspiration!
Thank you for sharing your experience Mari! I've been working with neurological conditions (specializing in MS, which I have had for nearly 15 years), and believe it is helpful when personal stories like ours are shared in the form of education. With that interest in mind, I hope you don't mind me adding what I feel is a key point for those seeking this kind of information.

Central nervous system diseases are quite different in cause, progression, and recovery from motor neuron diseases. For example, the research for working with central nervous system conditions like MS and stroke says that you SHOULD try to strengthen the weak muscles with repetitive, task specific exercises to regain neuronal connections in the brain for better recovery. The research on motor neuron disease is also split regarding when to strengthen muscles and when not to.

(cont....)
(cont....)

I agree completely that the Pilates environment is a great place to work with these populations, and learning to move from the core is one of the best ways to maintain function.
That said, I urge any teacher working with neurological clients to learn as much as they can about the specific illness their client has, talk to the client's doctors or physical therapists about what makes sense for them, and remember that no two cases of any neurological disease will be the same. Finally, thank you for everything you do for our community Mari, and I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you Mari. Mariska, I appreciate the clarification offered by you too. There is such richness to be had in our learning experience around these issues and I find courage demonstrated by you both when you include your personal experience into the education offered, the richest of all. Thank you for being on Pilates Anytime.
Mary L
I am so sorry to hear of your illness. What a special person you are to use it in such a positive way to help others. My prayers will be with you during your journey. I look forward to seeing you again in Chicago in a few weeks. Mary Lyon, lagrange Il.
11-20 of 27

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin