Day 2: Efficiency<br>Monica Wilson<br>Class 3284

Day 2: Efficiency
Monica Wilson
Class 3284

Watch this Class
1 person likes this.
Thank you Monica, love your teaching and classical Pilates! So glad to have you working with us. Anything I should adjust for scoliosis along the way? I try to do most exercises, twist is quite a challenge for me.
Lori
2 people like this.
Enjoyed this class. Any suggestions for substitute for climb a tree?
1 person likes this.
Great day 2. . . I love the fast pace!
Monica Wilson
Hi Rosemary! So glad your taking the 30-Day Challenge! This is where I wish I could reach through the computer and watch your movement and work directly with you to give you better advice. Would you mind sharing a little more about your scoliosis? What movements aggravate your spine? What feels delicious? I think you know your body best and wisely, you already know twisting is not the best exercise for you. I would stay clear of rolling exercises as well. Do you ever repeat the exercises on the Reformer on one leg and less springs for the weaker lower back? Or one arm for the weaker upper back? With a little more specific information, I will try my best to give you some tips:)
Monica Wilson
Hi Lori! Thank you for joining me in this Revival! Are you enjoying this Reformer workout? Does the Tree pose any specific problems that I could address as a modification or substitute? Thank you for your feedback:)
Lori
1 person likes this.
Monica, I love reformer work. I’d say it’s my favorite thing to do in Pilates. I don’t have the flexibility in my hamstrings or hip flexors for climb a tree. I can’t get my leg straight enough to be able to do it. For now, I just skipped, but if you have a suggestion for something to substitute, I’d give that a try.

Loving this series. Thank you.
1 person likes this.
Thanks Monica, although I have a slight bolster on my right lumbar side, the scoliosis doesn't bother me too much. In fact, twisting actually feels the most delicious but I feel weekest in exercises like Up stretch. I lighten the spring slightly and that helps. I've been working on mat side bend to help my lateral flexion.
I will try your suggestions for unilateral work.
Thank you again for this great opportunity to work with you!
Monica Wilson
Hi Lori, there are many variations to Tree that can help you get closer to your ultimate goal. A lot of times we can modify an exercise so much it isn't really worth it in the end. This is not the case with the Tree. It offers so much in stretching your back and hamstrings while strengthening your PH and hips that I would highly recommend not omitting it. Have you ever done Open Leg Rocker on the mat using extension straps? The concept is the same where the strap allows you to extend your leg straight so you really feel the PH initiate rocking back before beginning to walk down the leg. If you have not tried this before, play around with holding onto a foot strap or Gratz leg strap while sitting up tall and straightening and bending your leg the best you can. Repeat 3xs.
Monica Wilson
Tree Modification Cont'd: Lengthen your leg away from you reaching your thigh bone long out of your square hips, press even the foot away from you into the strap, and stretch over your leg. Drawing the PH in and up, rock your weight back until your safety strap on the opposite foot is taught. Walk down only as far as you have control and reach back up to grab the extension/foot strap of your Tree. Rock forward and stretch in between each repetition. Repeat 3xs. If the strap does not help, you don't have to straighten your leg or have it up so high. Think of the exercise more like a one legged Teaser, the Roll Back or any Rolling exercise. Sure hope that helps! Monica:)
Lori
Thanks very much. I am trying this.
1-10 of 24

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin