Starting a Pilates Practice<br>Monica Wilson<br>Class 2388

Starting a Pilates Practice
Monica Wilson
Class 2388

Watch this Class
1 person likes this.
I have been doing pilates for a while, but this is the first video I've watched on Pilates Anytime- Monica you are such a lovely teacher! I look forward to watching the rest of the series x
2 people like this.
Thankyou Monica for great cueing and easy to follow instructions. I am starting back at the beginner level again to go deeper into my workouts and be more mindful.so thankyou
Lisa L
1 person likes this.
Looking forward to learning Pilates. Question: I have very tight hamstrings and hip flexors. What modification do I need to do if I can't stretch my leg straight up while keeping my bum on the floor?
Monica Wilson
Hi Lisa!Thank you for your questions on both this class and in #2/10. So awesome you are doing the beginner series and laying a strong foundation. I just replied to your question in class #2387 (#2 of the beginner series). However, your question is so helpful for others, I hope you don't mind if I repost my reply here. Absolutely feel free to keep your knees slightly bent in any exercise where you feel you cannot straighten your legs. Here are suggestions for the exercises we have learned thus far: THE HUNDRED: You can start by keeping the legs bent at a table top position (knees bent directly over your hip bones with the shins and feet at the same level as the knees forming the table top). Once you feel your stomach being in control and getting stronger, progress to almost straight legs just shy of the ceiling.
Monica Wilson
(Reply to Lisa part 2:)THE ROLL BACK: Every time you come back up to a seated position, straighten your legs and reach forward to your ankles. Then return to begin the roll back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. This extra stretch will help to limber up your hamstrings. SINGLE LEG CIRCLE: Take your time stretching before beginning the circles and Keep knee slightly bent during the exercise. ROLLING LIKE A BALL: Try to really feel the lower belly pulling in and rounding your lower back so your hip flexors don't take over. SINGLE LEG STRETCH (SLS): When straightening the leg, keep the knee slightly soft and straighten the leg a little lower then the ceiling. DOUBLE LEG STRETCH: same as SLS. SPINE STRETCH FORWARD: Keep knees slightly bent. Hopefully this helps and answers your question! Thank you for being such a faithful follower! Hope you're having fun with it! Monica
1 person likes this.
I'm a long time weight lifter trying to become more flexible...I'm considered to be very in shape but this lesson absolutely exhausted me, I could not even make it through the entire video. I made it to where we had our hands around our ankles and became frustrated that I could not even come close.....any advice for someone who basically has steel beams for hamstrings? I also felt lightheaded from not feeling like I could ever get enough air throughout this entire thing. Thanks for any responses!
Monica Wilson
Hi Zojoru, Good for you working on your flexibility! I know from personal experience how hard it can be to start up Pilates. When something prevents me from keeping up my Pilates, the first time I get back to it, it seems impossible and that is very discouraging. Fortunately, I've experienced the blessing Pilates is to my flexibility, balance and strength that I can keep my eye on the prize and plug through it. Each day gets better. You will find your body will get more comfortable with each exercise and be able to execute the movement easier. Try doing this class at 50% effort being aware not to hold your breath. Feel free to press pause and breath into each stretch before Single Leg Circles and Spine Stretch Forward for your hamstrings. Hope this helps for now! Keep the questions coming:) Monica
nat
1 person likes this.
really nice class !!!
1 person likes this.
Is there something more basic than this? I have trouble rolling and lifting my neck
1 person likes this.
Peggy ~ I recommend trying the classes in our Fundamentals Playlist as it offers skills that you can use to help you in Mat classes. I hope this helps!
21-30 of 84

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin