Improving Extension in Dance<br>Karen Clippinger<br>Class 2792

Improving Extension in Dance
Karen Clippinger
Class 2792

Watch this Class
Karen Clippinger
Jennifer: you are so welcome :)
Doris: So glad you enjoyed it as a non-dancer. And yes, I am loving Australia.
Thank you so much for this class. My background is in dance as well and I work with a lot of dancers so this was great to see the difference when working with range of motion. I have a question about the développé front series. You mentioned this is psoas work. How much of the hip flexor (rectus femoris) should a dancer be feeling during this exercise? Thank you for sharing your expertise. Some day I hope to take your whole workhop.
Karen Clippinger
Sarah:
So glad you will be able to share this with other dancers. Other hip flexors (such as the rectus femoris) will be working, too, but there should be a sensation of less work/strain of the thigh and more sensation deeper/higher or just less sense of effort overall with greater use of the iliopsoas. I often use the technique of having the dancer bring the thigh up very close to his/her shoulder and gently pull down on the thigh while the dancer keeps it high (no actual movement occurs) to help them better activate the iliopsoas since this muscle is particularly active in higher ranges of hip flexion.
Thank you Karen, I loved your gentle approach to a very challenging class. i believe even non dancers can greatly benefit from this work, finding more flexibility and greater accomplishments each time they take the class. Well done.
Thank you Karen, I loved your gentle approach to a very challenging class. i believe even non dancers can greatly benefit from this work, finding more flexibility and greater accomplishments each time they take the class. Well done.
Karen Clippinger
Ruth:
Thank you for your comments and you have expressed my goals perfectly :) I found that with aging and no longer taking dance technique class that I was losing the wonderful range of movement at the hip taken for granted by dancers. My hope is that this workout will help provide this range and fluidity for anyone interested.
Beautiful! would love to see some of your scoliosis work on here!
Karen Clippinger
Tina:
Thank you!
Really enjoying this class!
Smart use of the strap on the foot for strengthening dorsiflexors and peronneals while maintaining stable position. Thank you!
21-30 of 49

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin