Walk the Walk<br>Jared Kaplan<br>Discussion 3515

Walk the Walk
Jared Kaplan
Discussion 3515

Watch this Discussion
1 person likes this.
Donna , self-care is a HUGE topic right now, and I've seen countless professionals struggle with meeting their own needs, myself included. Making a dent in that will be very important. Thanks Roxana !
Thank you for all of this- the topic, comments, sharing. I run a studio in a small community by myself and teach 15 classes per week. It is wonderful and I am blessed and have been for the last 15 years. I think one thing that would benefit me greatly and make a change in my life would be to have more feedback from clients. I sometimes feel empty and am not sure that I am getting through or going in the right directions. Even though the evidence of people coming back class after class, year after year is great evidence, I would like more specifics, encouragement sometimes, and appreciation. Any advice from any of you out there in how to achieve this in subtle yet convincing ways?
Robyn first, CONGRATS on 15 years! Not a small feat.
You've called out a critical but oft under-developed skill: client RELATIONSHIPS. It's one thing to get them in the door and teach solid sessions; it's an entirely different beast to develop, grow, and deepen the experience for them. All it takes is asking in a constructive way. Be sure to separate out THEIR experience and what you've created for them from what I hear you wanting for yourself in terms of credit or appreciation - I think they're distinct but equally important aspects of running your business and taking care of yourself.
For feeling empty: go outside your box - study something new, take someone else's class, maybe a different discipline altogether. You've got to keep your own brain sitmulated and adapting to new experiences, otherwise you're depleted and it makes total sense you'd feel empty. You're asking terrific questions of yourself, and it shows a deep awareness - good job!
Thank you, Jared, for taking the time to thoughtfully address my comment/question. I agree to the importance of differentiating my needs from theirs. They are, after all, paying clients, and ultimately there for themselves, and not for me. Thank you for pointing it out that I need to elsewhere for self-fulfillment, and not expect it all to come from this aspect of my life...so important. Again, thank you for opening this forum of discussion.
My pleasure, Robyn . It's a VERY important juncture and boundary that most professionals I know, even superstar instructors, struggle to uphold. I've smacked into my own walls and issues, and did some deep work to re-align myself with what works for my practice, my business, and my life. You're welcome - I'm excited to keep learning and sharing around these topics!
Anna C
2 people like this.
Thank you for this interview. I thought I was the only one going through this ( it must be me) and putting so much pressure on myself that I am now absolutely burntout, had to cancel my group lessons and only doing PT now, that is for the time being until I’m
Back on my feet again...
Hi Anna You're welcome! I'm sorry to hear about the struggles you've been facing. YOU'RE NOT ALONE! Managing your own energy-levels, expenditure, business and self-care is NOT easy. I created this because I've gone through it, and wish I'd had someone guide me before I too was on the edge of total burnout. Others aren't so lucky, and I hope this starts to build a fire that becomes a beacon in the dark.
Anna C
1 person likes this.
Hi Jared, thanks for your answer, yes it’s so true we must look after ourselves. Our health is more important than anything else. Take care
Anna
Anna, I have "taken my time" on answering my own version of every one of these questions in this forum, partly based on the things I pressure myself into thinking are of a priority that matters more than what I think, or the experience I could offer.
That said, your comment here answers most of what I would say to all the rest (including myself), self care matters first! You are not alone!
A really important and useful conversation thank you! I've come to running a Pilates business (mat classes) fairly late (50yrs) but I suppose that also brings with it a lot of life experience (not to mention an EdD and many years of teaching business)!! As I came to Pilates myself partly through anxiety, creating the right atmosphere and care for my clients is really important to me and hopefully that shows with my clients. I teach 5 classes a week alongside my regular job which I do 4 days a week so finding balance is hard. I'm also considering comprehensive training so I feel some really big decisions are to be made. The vision is a studio garden where the surroundings are important, so I can combine my mat classes with some 1:1's (but not go crazy). I also have to think, what do I want to be doing for the next 20 yrs? (and that's not sitting at a desk)!! I think it comes back to the core value of service of others and positive movement:) Thanks again, Sarahxx
21-30 of 38

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin